Author Topic: Performance Pack or not??!!!!  (Read 8509 times)

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
Re: Performance Pack or not??!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2021, 16:38 »
How about this beast I found today! 490!! 😳😳😳😳

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103250559033?atmobcid=soc4
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2021, 17:30 »

twenty inch wheels.... impressive.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2021, 21:17 »

twenty inch wheels.... impressive.

Look pretty nice eh!

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2021, 21:26 »
Looked at the other cars they have for sales at Performance 28 😳😳😳 there is a crazy RS6 with the biggest wheels but this on Autotrader!! https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102239389495?atmobcid=soc4

Audi https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104091167180

Sorry for deviating lol but wow lol
« Last Edit: 13 April 2021, 21:29 by Kpow99 »

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2021, 21:32 »
100% find a PP, the VAQ is definitely noticeable going around large roundabouts, why would not want something that improves traction.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2021, 08:02 »
Buy the best car your budget allows, and make sure you’re clear on the features you care most about and will get most value from. If that’s PP don’t budge, if it’s something else and you need to sacrifice PP to get it (while staying in budget) don’t for a second think you’re making a bad decision. The non-PP GTi is a superb car and in 95% of the driving you can do on UK roads you won’t notice the difference.

PP definitely adds advantages, and if you can exploit the enhanced traction in a safe way on the road, which personally I would struggle with while driving with some degree of common sense, it’s well worth having.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2021, 10:58 »

Look pretty nice eh!

But will have a terrible choppy ride, been there done that, never again.

OP, think about how disappointed you will be if you don't get a PP and you are sitting at the lights and PP pulls up next to you. Oh and you don't want up PP drivers to look down on you. :grin:

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2021, 12:52 »
does the performance pack make a noticeable difference to every day driving?

No, not in my view- because I only rarely feel the diff working in everyday driving.

I think these questions should always be considered with regards to " how will I use the car" rather than " how good is the option".

Is 400bhp good? Yes. Will I use it? No!

I think you will still have a very enjoyable car if you didn't have the PP, but whether you will miss it for the " golden moments" is another question.

I suppose once you ask the question you probably do want it.

I wouldn't worry about residuals- you will be buying cheaper and selling cheaper- and there will always be high demand for a Golf GTI.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2021, 15:09 »
This thread roughly coincides with the 8th year anniversary since my order went in for the just released mk7 GTI PP via evo1986
Coming from a long background of modified GTI’s I thought the £850 PP was a no brainer. It seemed like the perfect base car to add a stage 1 remap to, almost as if that was VW’s intention (VW are tuned in to the whole modding thing, just see their massive presence and exclusives released at the Wörthersee Treffen annually). The car seemed aimed at people just like me.

About six months after I took delivery I went out in my lightly modded mk7 PP for a bit of a back to back B road action with a friend who had temporary use of a mk7 GTI vin ordinaire.
There wasn’t a massive difference between the two cars to be honest.
The two things I will say is that the uprated PP brakes are very worthwhile. The 312mm rotors have been in use since god knows when (mk4 days I think they started coming in) and were marginal at fast road speed at times. The 340’s are much better but it’s easy to remedy the 312’s using aftermarket bits.
As for the diff, well it’s very subtle but works very well even on a stage 1 car. However whether it will be of much benefit in general use depends on the driver.
GTI drivers come in all shapes and sizes, I’ve been on forums since forever so seen it all, from moaners who buy a GTI expecting it to ride like a limousine to Billy Big Balls types who drive like absolute lunatics, and everything in between.
I’ve been blitzed in my former Golf R when taking it steady by company car GTD drivers enough times to know the chassis is plenty good enough without diffs, 350bhp and AWD if the driver is bold enough.
The only way anyone can really know whether the diff and brakes will be worthwhile to them is by having a think about how hard they actually drive in reality.

Personally, if it was a used car and the price and condition were really good I’d definitely not thumb my nose at a non PP.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2021, 19:12 »
As a few have said 99% of the time you won't notice any difference between the two cars, that 1% of the time is when you want to play on some twisty roads.

Personally I find my old mk5 Edition 30 much more fun than my 2019 Performance Pack, which I actually attribute down the the brakes and lack of diff (they're the same 312mm), you can feel like your much more on the edge even when you're probably going 10-15mph slower.

If the GTI you're looking at has a good spec (Leather, Sunroof, DCC) I'd go for it without a doubt, you'll use those features more than 1% of the time.  :smiley: but either way you won't be disappointed by either.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/