Author Topic: Car seems to be "skipping" under acceleration  (Read 5058 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Car seems to be "skipping" under acceleration
« on: 28 December 2020, 15:31 »
Hi guys, I've been noticing lately that under moderate to hard acceleration, my car is skipping. It feels almost like the wheels are spinning for a split second, but the traction control light doesn't come on. It's like the car does a little jolt every half a second or so. I haven't had the chance to test yet whether or not it continues as long as I accelerate.

I first noticed it after I had my car serviced. They came back and told me that there was light oil misting on the front shocks, and that my tyres were in need of replacing. I've since had the tyres replaced, and the issue is still present.

I am running a JB4, which I was running before the service, on map 2. I took it off for the service, and put it back on afterwards. I don't believe the issue happens on map 0 (JB4 doing nothing).

I appreciate that I need to do more testing, but I'm intrigued as to whether anyone here might have a preliminary idea as to what it could be.

I find it unusual that I noticed it after a service (second service, which I believe is a minor service?). Could the garage have done anything that would cause this? Different oil or something?

For a while, I thought the issue had disappeared, which made me think that maybe it was temperature related. As you can tell, I'm pretty clueless. I need to do more testing, and to try and get some logs from the JB4 of it happening to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any clues!

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Car seems to be "skipping" under acceleration
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2020, 15:32 »
Oh, my car has also had an MOT recently (last week, post service and new tyres) and it got a clean bill of health, just also pointed out the oil misting

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2020, 16:45 »
That sounds like classic tramping...
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2020, 16:58 »
Weather conditions combined with worn tyres then new not scrubbed in tyres? Take the remap away and it stops - don't think you can blame the oil change  :smiley:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2020, 19:24 »
Weather conditions combined with worn tyres then new not scrubbed in tyres? Take the remap away and it stops - don't think you can blame the oil change  :smiley:

It MIGHT go away without the remap, I'm not sure. I wasn't aware that new tyres could also cause this issue so I'll see if it goes with time.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2020, 19:24 »
Is there a certain amount of time the wheels have to spin for for the TV light to come on then?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2020, 19:52 »
It's axel tramp not the wheels spinning. Traction control can't fix that.

Stiffer engine mounts fix it but you probably won't enjoy that much.

Try some throttle control instead, don't just dump it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2020, 23:08 »
It's axel tramp not the wheels spinning. Traction control can't fix that.

Stiffer engine mounts fix it but you probably won't enjoy that much.

Try some throttle control instead, don't just dump it.

I never said that I was "just dumping it" nor that the "traction control could fix it". I said the light didn't come on. If it's axle tramp and it was bad enough, the light would come on.

It could well just be the weather combined with tyres. It had just never happened before in this manner until literally the day after the service, which I thought was odd. I'd had wheel hop/axle tramp before, but it had always been WAY worse, like the front of the the car was going to fall apart. The regularity that this occurs with, like one skip every half second, made me think it could be something else. I didn't expect to get the same symptoms with brand new PS4Ss and near-illegally-worn P Zeors.

EDIT: Sorry, that reads unnecessarily prickly. I'll keep looking into it and come back if it gets worse or doesn't settle down with more miles on the tyres or warmer weather.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2020, 23:20 by sjw »

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2020, 07:20 »
What tyres have you fitted and what pressures are you running?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2020, 10:27 »
My understanding is that axel tramp is not caused by loss of traction, ie wheel spin but quite the reverse. The tyres are not breaking loose but that the weak link is the engine mounts and you get harmonics there.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC