Author Topic: my new mk2 1.8t project  (Read 6030 times)

Offline necrorat

• Just got here
my new mk2 1.8t project
« on: 07 November 2014, 11:12 »
Hi
Thought I'd start this as a bit of a build thread/hello as I'm new both to the forums and to the world of old golfs So I'd like to keep a record of all the work I've done if I do ever come to sell her.

So brought myself a 92 8v gti in white that had already had a 1.8t fitted into it but it was fitted in let's just say a very chipshop kinda way and as I'm working on the car I'm finding all the bodge job's that he's done.

My first port of call was the brakes.
The original 8v brakes had been left on it and in my eyes that is not very clever when you have a engine twice the power of orginaly planned so I swaped the hub's out for 16v items which allowed me to fit g60 disc's, pads and calipers.
At the same time I fitted braided lines but as we got stuck into the job ( I say we but pretty much all done by mate's at work :)
More and more things kept creeping up line brake lines been corroded and union's needing replacing but got there in the end,
Aslo managed to source a lean cupra 22mm stubby master cylinder ready to drop in off eBay and that finished off the setup nicely.

The next thing I tackled and I actually done this :D was the exhaust.
It was fitted with a scorpion three box system which I'm sure was fine but I'm trying to get the best the car can get within reasonable budget so I splashed out and got a full turbo-back trackslag system and my word night and day flows so much nicer and of course the sounds is a nice little bonus.

Next was the radiator the previous owner had fitted a bmw e30 radiator which does tidy the bay up but a bit of a pig to mount and plumb in, to get it to fit correctly I modified the bonnet landing pad slightly to get it to sit flush and have put it on my to do list to pull it back out and get it welded back up to reinforce it slightly.
The other drama I had with it is the difference in size of the top hose outlet compared to that of the end temperature sensor housing pipe but I constructed a stepson a a temporary fix till I can source a proper billet adapter.

So I think that's enough for my first post there is more but I'll add that latter

A little list of stuff still to do:

.replace wish bones and bushes (possibly polybush?)
.replace front and rear antiroll bars and drop links
.source and fit mk3 fuel tank and line's as my external pump is seeping slightly
.sort engine wiring out as it looks like a bomb site in there currently (vagtronics)
.wire cooling fan correctly as currently it is just wired to a ignition live
.strengthen bonnet landing bar affter modifying it
.investigate why drives door latch sometimes doesn't open affter locking
.finish audio install (rear speakers and amp)
.replace passenger's side window motor
.finish applying sound deadening in cab
.Get rear exhaust bracket replaced and re welded

The way I plan to work this is that if I have a job and complete it successful I will do a walk through talk through as to help other people that have the same job's in the future try and centralise a few diys for common faults.

Ohh also sorry for the lack of pictures currently at work so no means to upload them but I will do as soon as possible as I know people love picture's :).