Author Topic: VR6 suspension on.. top mount is too loose! *pics*  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: VR6 suspension on.. top mount is too loose! *pics*
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2010, 12:26 »
No worries, happy to help.  :smiley:

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2010, 15:23 »
The problem unfortunately continues.. got brand new top mounts on and it now sits at about 6mm when its just sat on the ground.. but if I push down on the car it goes up to about 15 then springs back down. IT also knocks when driving!
Any ideas? top mount is tightened down as far as it will go.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2010, 15:39 »
was it running the same style of top mou8nts before, or did you convert from the older style mounts to mk3 gti? if you converted, did you also change the upper spring caps and also changed the old slotted bush for the gti threaded nut
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2010, 15:50 »
Hmmm, basically, the car had standard tdi suspension on. We used the top cap bolt and the top cap from this setup. I bought a full setup from a vr6 and put this on, just changing the top mount for new items. so in theory, all those things you mentioned should be for a vr6.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2010, 16:08 »
yeah you would know if it was wrong tbh, top mounts completly different design.  cant think whats gone wrong then!

are you 100% sure the threaded nuts were tightened as far as they can go? not sure with vr suspension but with oem mk2 springs you would need spring compressors to tighten it down all the way. maybe damaged threads? but then be bad luck for this to happen both sides  :undecided:
« Last Edit: 15 November 2010, 16:10 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2010, 17:31 »
PRoblem solved! It was the spring cap nut wasn't tightened down enough. Drives much better now. Just need tracking done..

Thanks to everyone who helped!