Author Topic: Auto express tyre test 2018  (Read 8224 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Auto express tyre test 2018
« on: 16 July 2018, 19:51 »
Auto express have just given the Continental premium contact 6 the winners trophy ahead of the Dunlop and then the Michelin. This is for 17" sizes mind.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Auto express tyre test 2018
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2018, 02:00 »
Some interesting results there.  Including an unexpectedly (to me) strong 2nd place from the Dunlop.  Taking into account result variations in different tests, it seems either the PS4 or the new CPC6 is the way to go.

Raises even more questions why VW are shipping GTIs from the factory shod with Bridgestone S001.  So many vastly better alternatives, as this test proves.  I guess Bridgestone must be dumping the S001 at bargain basement prices for OEM fitment.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2018, 06:15 »
My Bridgestone's have been fine throughout the recent hot weather. Not every country has weather that's as rubbish as ours normally is. And some of those that do swap them out for winters for half the year. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 06:57 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2018, 07:01 »
I'll be honest and say I haven't had any issues with the Bridgestones and they've now got 15k miles on the fronts. During the summer they are absolutely fine but in cold weather they do take longer to warm up. If you don't try and drive like an a4se they are ok. Contis and Michelin will be better no doubt but I think it's totally pointless binning them at new like some have done.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2018, 07:18 »
I'll be honest and say I haven't had any issues with the Bridgestones and they've now got 15k miles on the fronts. During the summer they are absolutely fine but in cold weather they do take longer to warm up. If you don't try and drive like an a4se they are ok. Contis and Michelin will be better no doubt but I think it's totally pointless binning them at new like some have done.
I couldn't agree more :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2018, 07:50 »
My Bridgestone's have been fine throughout the recent hot weather. Not every country has weather that's as rubbish as ours normally is. And some of those that do swap them out for winters for half the year. :smiley:

That has been my experience of every Bridgestone I've driven on.  Fine when hot, not so good in cold and rain.  I swapped mine out from new for PS4s as I wanted year-round performance.  I don't drive that hard, but want to know the grip is there if I need it in an emergency manoeuvre/braking.  Plus the PS4s steer way better than the s001s.  The front end comes to life.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 08:52 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2018, 09:09 »
I used to buy vehicles as part of my job and always requested a certain brand and spec. of tyre.
Some suppliers would try and argue that it wasnt possible or try and charge a premiium but I got what I wanted without exception and never once paid any extra.

Previously I had asked the vehicle manufacturers why they used a range of brands of tyres.
Their answer was that their buyers were obligated to buy from a selection of tyre suppliers and not just fit the well known brands.
Seems a dozen or so lorries would arrive at the factory from the tyre producer and when the brand on the production line was exhausted they were the next brand to be fitted.

Never thought to ask for a specific brand on my recent Golf it would have been an interesting exercise.
But when they need replacing will be with Michelins.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 09:12 by Mike J »

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2018, 09:32 »
I used to buy vehicles as part of my job and always requested a certain brand and spec. of tyre.
Some suppliers would try and argue that it wasnt possible or try and charge a premiium but I got what I wanted without exception and never once paid any extra.

Previously I had asked the vehicle manufacturers why they used a range of brands of tyres.
Their answer was that their buyers were obligated to buy from a selection of tyre suppliers and not just fit the well known brands.
Seems a dozen or so lorries would arrive at the factory from the tyre producer and when the brand on the production line was exhausted they were the next brand to be fitted.

Never thought to ask for a specific brand on my recent Golf it would have been an interesting exercise.
But when they need replacing will be with Michelins.

:smiley:
Tyre manufacturers offer car companies major discounts on their tyres because they know that a good number of car owners will simply replace tyres with the same as what was already fitted.
Therefore they'll sell a lot more tyres at retail prices (and profits).

The car companies simply wait for the next tyre rep to walk in the door to offer a better price. In truth this probably suits both parties as if one tyre manufacturer tried to supply all of (say) VW's tyre requirements, then a) they probably don't have the capacity and b) they wouldn't have the extra capacity to supply the retail side and generate the extra profits.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2018, 12:44 »
Ask the same question about other things on your car... is there a better windscreen manufacturer, wiper blade manufacturer, infotainment manufacturer, brake manufacturer, suspension strut manufacturer.... etc etc VW actually manufacture very little of the parts list that make up 90% of your car... they buy them from people who make sub-components for cars.

Why pick one over the other? If it was Formula 1 it would be because one was better than the others in performance terms. In mass produced road going cars, its good enough and cheaper than the alternatives.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2018, 13:46 »

I think the diff makes a big difference. I honestly though the tyres were pretty crap on the last one, and no really noticed any issues on this one. Got them both in summer so comparable temps. Old one spun up at every opportunity pulling out of junctions.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey