Author Topic: Pure white paintwork going cream  (Read 7144 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Pure white paintwork going cream
« on: 28 April 2017, 13:15 »
Hi all,

Had my pure white GTI since 2014 and have (admittedly irregularly) applied Autoglym super gloss protection and over it's life, applied Sonax carnuba wax a couple of times.

Currently when I look at the car - and even more so parked next to other white cars (although I need to find another clean pure white car to compare it against) it looks a nice shade of cream.

I realise that the wax/sealant I've been using may be the cause of this, so can anyone advise on the best way to get the bodywork back down to bare paint topcoat (well, lacquer topcoat really).

I was looking at getting something like Poorboys White Diamond but is there anything on a similar price point that would be better?

Ta in advance.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Pure white paintwork going cream
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2017, 15:41 »
Hi all,

Had my pure white GTI since 2014 and have (admittedly irregularly) applied Autoglym super gloss protection and over it's life, applied Sonax carnuba wax a couple of times.

Currently when I look at the car - and even more so parked next to other white cars (although I need to find another clean pure white car to compare it against) it looks a nice shade of cream.

I realise that the wax/sealant I've been using may be the cause of this, so can anyone advise on the best way to get the bodywork back down to bare paint topcoat (well, lacquer topcoat really).

I was looking at getting something like Poorboys White Diamond but is there anything on a similar price point that would be better?

Ta in advance.

I think as you suggest, you need to get the car stripped of all protection, fully decontaminated (iron remover, tar remover, claying) and a polish (if able), so the paintwork is clear, cleaned and refined and then ready to be protected perhaps with an alternative choice of protection.  As it's a white car, you might want to think about using a nano or polymer sealant or coating instead of wax. Unlike wax, they are clear and once you have your paintwork clean, should retain the clarity of the finish.  They are also good options for presenting a sharp, crisp, glassy Finish which is exactly what you want on a white car.  Look at Gtechniq, Sonax and Gyeon coatings and sealants.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2017, 21:53 »
Hi all,

Ta in advance.

I think as you suggest, you need to get the car stripped of all protection, fully decontaminated (iron remover, tar remover, claying) and a polish (if able), so the paintwork is clear, cleaned and refined and then ready to be protected perhaps with an alternative choice of protection.  As it's a white car, you might want to think about using a nano or polymer sealant or coating instead of wax. Unlike wax, they are clear and once you have your paintwork clean, should retain the clarity of the finish.  They are also good options for presenting a sharp, crisp, glassy Finish which is exactly what you want on a white car.  Look at Gtechniq, Sonax and Gyeon coatings and sealants.
That's good advice from Booth
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2017, 14:03 »
Ta very much - my only other question is the best way to strip what's on there safely (unless I missed that bit lol).
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2017, 23:29 »
Ta very much - my only other question is the best way to strip what's on there safely (unless I missed that bit lol).

The process of decontaminating the car will strip off any existing sealants/waxes, so no need to worry about that.  Tar remover and iron remover both strip protection, as does claying.  If you weren't to decontaminate (recommended though) and just wanted to remove your existing protection, then you could use IPA/Panel Wipe to strip back, or a strong concentrated shampoo solution, or washing up liquid solution would do it too.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2017, 09:52 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2017, 07:52 »
Gotcha - thanks very much!

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2017, 09:29 »
Well yesterday was the day, washed, dried, wiped over with AG intensive tar remover (and took out any visible marks/scratches with G3 cutting compound), clayed and finally applied some Auto Finesse Tough Coat. The wheels weren't bad so I just gave them a go over with my wheel 'noodle cloth' and wiped them dry with an old drying towel (had a little tear in my eye when I wiped over the marks where I kerbed one - it's on the list to fix lol) and applied Meguiars endurance tyre gel (sparingly)

Things I noticed...

1. For the first time ever, I saw a noticeable difference in before and after the snowfoam/jetwash stage. Can't remember doing anything different from last time but it is a different container of snowfoam.
2. Even after the tar remover, you could really feel/hear the clay bar doing its thing. Suffice to say as soon as I could tell there was something on the face of it, I folded it in on itself and cracked on.
3. It wasn't bright sunshine yesterday but I think it appears whiter - how much of this is placebo effect and my ageing eyes (which were probably the reason it looked creamy in the first place lol)

Quick question regarding claying - what do people use as lube? I used AG Rapid Detailer and probably got through half a full sized bottle (don't know the capacity off the top of my head) but I did end up wiping loads off with a microfiber cloth. I just couldn't seem to be able to get away with any less and I'd rather wipe it off than marr the paintwork by having too little. Any tips?

Photos to follow, promise!

Edit - I did do the tailpipes and vacuumed the interior too, just didn't seem worthy of a mention lol
« Last Edit: 11 June 2017, 09:36 by Gnasher »

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2017, 11:16 »
For clay lube just use water with a drop of car shampoo in, there's no point in spending extra money on a dedicated clay lube. As long as the solution is slick and lubricates well then it will be fine.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2017, 15:15 »
Well yesterday was the day, washed, dried, wiped over with AG intensive tar remover (and took out any visible marks/scratches with G3 cutting compound), clayed and finally applied some Auto Finesse Tough Coat. The wheels weren't bad so I just gave them a go over with my wheel 'noodle cloth' and wiped them dry with an old drying towel (had a little tear in my eye when I wiped over the marks where I kerbed one - it's on the list to fix lol) and applied Meguiars endurance tyre gel (sparingly)

Things I noticed...

1. For the first time ever, I saw a noticeable difference in before and after the snowfoam/jetwash stage. Can't remember doing anything different from last time but it is a different container of snowfoam.
2. Even after the tar remover, you could really feel/hear the clay bar doing its thing. Suffice to say as soon as I could tell there was something on the face of it, I folded it in on itself and cracked on.
3. It wasn't bright sunshine yesterday but I think it appears whiter - how much of this is placebo effect and my ageing eyes (which were probably the reason it looked creamy in the first place lol)

Quick question regarding claying - what do people use as lube? I used AG Rapid Detailer and probably got through half a full sized bottle (don't know the capacity off the top of my head) but I did end up wiping loads off with a microfiber cloth. I just couldn't seem to be able to get away with any less and I'd rather wipe it off than marr the paintwork by having too little. Any tips?

Photos to follow, promise!

Edit - I did do the tailpipes and vacuumed the interior too, just didn't seem worthy of a mention lol

Sounds a great job done Gnasher.

For clay lube I do use a dedicated lube - DoDo Juice Born Slippy. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/detailing-clay-lubricants/dodo-juice-born-slippy-500ml/prod_560.html

You can just use a shampoo solution and with certain clays can just use plain water.  I used all and still prefer clay lube as it is the most lubricious and greatly aids the clay gliding over the paintwork with minimum friction necessary.  Personal choice really. 

Looking forward to the pics.   :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2017, 15:18 »
Great job Gnasher, look forward to the pictures :smiley: I'm sure with the effort there will be an improvement in whiteness but tbh, even if it is a placebo, so long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.

Been meaning to clay mine but I just don't get time. It'll end up being before winter at this rate... :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.