Author Topic: Tried to fit cat back but too short?  (Read 467 times)

Offline nathanpotato

• GTI forum regular
Tried to fit cat back but too short?
« on: 09 June 2011, 20:43 »
Hey I tried fitting a 16v stainless cat back exhaust on my mk3 1.6 today and had a lot of trouble but finally got it on only to find that it is blowing everywhere. It just seems too short for the car even though I was told it was off an mk3. Also the rubber brackets for the middle box don’t seem to fit at all so it’s just hanging down. Anybody got any ideas? How much would I be looking at to get a garage to sort this out really had enough tbh?  I’m half tempted to just fit my old exhaust back on at this stage.
Thanks

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Tried to fit cat back but too short?
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2011, 21:01 »
I'd imagine that the bore of the pipe coming out of your cat will be smaller than the bore of the 16v system which would explain why it is blowing.

The cat may also be shorter which is why the system is too far forwards and also why the mounting brackets are in the wrong place :wink:

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2011, 21:32 »
mk3's use a short connector pipe at the cat back to downpipe and I guess your fitting it without this....plus that's an ideal place to fit the reducer in your case so 2 jobs by 1 part
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline nathanpotato

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2011, 22:41 »
Thanks for the replies I've got a reducer but it dosent seem
To quite fit but the blowing I think I can sort if it was longer. I think it's blowing mostly because it's not
Connected right as I tried to stretch it across. If my cat was shorter that would explain it i couldn't figure it out. So I would need a connector pipe or something to make it longer? Cheers