Author Topic: Performance Pack or not??!!!!  (Read 8469 times)

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
Performance Pack or not??!!!!
« on: 11 April 2021, 14:28 »
I think this is a common dilemma, so apologies for repeating what may have already been discussed, but...... does the performance pack make a noticeable difference to every day driving? I have the chance to buy a Mk7 GTi at a great price but without the performance pack. I don't plan to take the car to a track, but do intend to have a little fun driving on the twisty B roads around where I live, whilst using it for the majority of the time on motorways. Should I wait until performance pack version is available on Autotrader or take the deal that's been offered on the standard configuration? Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Performance Pack or not??!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2021, 00:19 »
Wait for the right car

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2021, 12:33 »
I too am on the hunt for a GTi/Clubsport.

If i were to opt for a GTI it would definitely have to have the PP, what with the slightly more powerful engine and the bigger brakes, but for above all else the tricky diff.

I think a PP one is more desirable and therefore would be easier to sell when the time comes.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2021, 12:54 »
I bought a car recently. It’s a daily for me and I didn’t want an R as they are so often targeted for theft. Whilst I’d have preferred a PP, more important to me was spec, mileage and condition. The upgraded audio and art velour trim were well worth a compromise for me. As was a car with sub 10miles as opposed to something at 20k miles plus. No regrets either.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2021, 14:02 »
Fun is good way to describe the VAQ diff, the way it hooks up and drags you out of corners, or just helps you nail it in a straight line when it's greasy.

You certainly don't need it, it's a fantastic car already, but I do like it.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2021, 14:15 »
The diff makes quite a bit of difference when you have a little fun at UK road legal speeds - you don't need to be trying to beat the lap record at Brands Hatch to feel it.

I'd look for a PP.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2021, 14:28 »
I think this is a common dilemma, so apologies for repeating what may have already been discussed, but...... does the performance pack make a noticeable difference to every day driving? I have the chance to buy a Mk7 GTi at a great price but without the performance pack. I don't plan to take the car to a track, but do intend to have a little fun driving on the twisty B roads around where I live, whilst using it for the majority of the time on motorways. Should I wait until performance pack version is available on Autotrader or take the deal that's been offered on the standard configuration? Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Having owned and put considerable miles on both variants in 7.5 form, I would definitely seek out a PP model. Its better in everyway imo, especially if your going DSG.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Derrydiva

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2021, 14:46 »
As always it is a matter of personal choice and what is out in the market with any options you want.

I have a non pp 7.5 GTI manual and it serves well as day to day and a bit of a fun when you want. I know many on this forum love the DSG gearbox, but it does not work for me. Yes, the larger brakes and diff add to the fun factor but unless you are on the open road you do not get the benefit

As always take the time to find the best vehicle with the history and options. A pp will cost more, but you may well recoup that at sale time.

Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed in my opinion

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2021, 15:42 »
Also, (and I stand to be corrected), due to WLTP, I understand the MK7.5 PP's dropped the dual injection rails that it had before (to prevent the built of of carbon in the intake valves), and gained a Particulate filter - both of which the non PP MK7.5 never had. Sure I'm biased as mine is a 2018 non PP, and yes, the bigger brakes with the logos do look very nice, but for 80-90% of standard driving on UK roads, I bet you can't really tell much one from the other ? Again, I don't know this for fact, but I've heard stories of the particulate filter and revised mapping robbing a few PS, so the difference between the two models is more likely in the 10-12 ps area rather than the full 15ps ?

If you can find a good PP model in the colour, mileage and options you want then great, but if that "perfect" example happens to be a non PP model, I for one would never let that put me off it. YMMV.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2021, 15:44 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2021, 16:05 »
When I was looking to buy I didn't even consider a none PP. Also by going for a none PP version you'd be limiting your market when you come to sell it on, for me it's a no brainer.