Author Topic: Immobiliser activated  (Read 10436 times)

Offline Mikeo9o

• Just got here
Immobiliser activated
« on: 09 May 2020, 12:37 »
Hello my 1.8t is showing this msg on the display and it won’t start,has anyone got any idea what’s wrong and what I need to do next,
Thankyou

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Immobiliser activated
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2020, 12:05 »
It's usually a problem with the key, but there are other parts to the immobiliser which can cause the same issue. Do you have a spare key to try?

Offline Vandal Wagen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2020, 13:11 »
Have you changed the ECU or removed the battery at any time? 

Ive got a golf with the same issue except i don't get the message it just starts and dies and the key symbol light comes on. 

I have 2 keys and both will start the car but not unlock/lock it with the key fob.  They both have new batteries.

My research so far is telling me the immobiliser in the clocks doesn't recognise the key so it needs to be reprogrammed by a pro or using vag-com with a hack programme.  I have vag-com etc I'm trying to figger it out tho.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2020, 14:09 »
This may or not work for you, but a mate who lives downstairs from me had a similar problem with his MK4 just a couple of days ago and this is how he fixed it.

After fitting a new battery in his fob, the symptoms were the same as yours...opened the car manually, put key in the ignition, opened the bonnet and disconnected the battery. He left the drivers window down during the 30 minutes or so that the battery was unhooked. Reconnected the battery, turned the key to each position for about 5 seconds in each place and then started the car...all good! He has been using the car each day, with no problems ever since.

Might be worth a try.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Vandal Wagen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2020, 19:55 »
I'll give the above a go and see what gives iv'e tried everything else except the vag-com/vag tacho route not looking forward the that one its getting expensive.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2020, 21:46 »
Have you got a kkl lead?
I can assist remotely with Teamviewer.

Mk4 immo issues are reasonably easy, if it's just a key issue all you need is a new transponder and we can program it remotely.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Vandal Wagen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2020, 15:58 »
Have you got a kkl lead?
I can assist remotely with Teamviewer.

Mk4 immo issues are reasonably easy, if it's just a key issue all you need is a new transponder and we can program it remotely.

I take it the KKL lead is not the same as VAG-com or Vag Tacho?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2020, 20:31 »
VAG COM (not that it exists under that name anymore) does use the same cable.
VAG Tacho has a different one.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline midvale99

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2020, 17:56 »
I have a similar problem (I think?)... my car starts and cuts out after 1 second. Been researching like mad online and reading up about all the various problems it could be.

First thing I did was try a different key. No luck. Then I called the RAC and his tablet showed "17978 Engine control unit blocked - permanent". So he recommended I try replacing the 409 relay switch. Still no luck. After many attempts at starting, my battery started to die. Charged the battery - but not convinced it's holding enough charge. It's an old charger and not very advanced.

I read about people experiencing similar problems and it's accompanied by the immobiliser symbol (car + key icon) flashing. Mine doesn't flash but tried the trick anyway of leaving the ignition on for 10 mins before starting. And it appeared to work! It started up and I took it for a spin. Came home, shut engine off, started it up again to check. All good, I thought. 5 mins later, tried again and it won't start!! 10 min trick doesn't work either. So it may not have been that that 'fixed' it. I also wiggled some of the battery fuses around so I thought maybe that did something? I'll try again tonight. Also read that the ECU can fail if it gets wet? I have been having damp problems in my car that I'm trying to fix. Not sure if it's related. Just can't tell where the problem lies - if it's ECU, battery, immobiliser, key transponder etc.

Don't really know where to turn now. Oh yeah, and my partner is due with our baby in 3 days  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 18 November 2020, 17:58 by midvale99 »

Offline midvale99

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2021, 11:49 »
UPDATE: For anyone out there who has the same issue, I think I may have found a solution: I tried to remember if I had done anything at all from the point where my car was starting up fine, to when it wouldn't start at all. The only thing I could recall was fiddling around with the small button on the door sill behind the driver's seat (I had no idea what it was at the time, so pressed it a few times before reading up on it here (https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53277.0). So, I pressed it once more a few days ago and tried starting the car....and guess what, it only bloody started! And it's been starting consistently ever since! I haven't tempted fate by pressing it again to see if that's actually what caused it, but I'm pretty convinced it is. Not sure how/if that button is linked to the immobiliser as well as the alarm, but it seems that way. There's obviously a fault there because it shouldn't prevent you from starting the car, but it does seem like there's a connection. Hope this helps someone else!