Author Topic: 256MM REAR BRAKE CALIPERS - WORTH IT?  (Read 5757 times)

Offline davewoo

• Just got here
256MM REAR BRAKE CALIPERS - WORTH IT?
« on: 29 April 2020, 21:14 »
Hi Guys
bought a W reg mk4 GTI a few weeks back - its had a new clutch & duel mass fly wheel, timing belt and water pump and today a service with oil change. I was told it needs new rear brake discs. Worth upgrading to 256mm whilst getting them done?
Planning on going to Nurburgring next year. Front ones are nearly new but the regular 288mm ones btw.
ALSO, one tyre is misshapen and the front two are cheap make - Mazzini, so thinking of upgrading them (doing all this over a few months) the current original alloys have been kerbed too, so possibly new wheels with some tyres that would get me round the Ring too (live very near Demon Tweeks(DT), so plenty there to chose) any recommendations on tyres and if I did buy new wheels too - keep to 16"? DT have these down on their competition page:
Uniroyal RainSport 5 Tyre at £78 each
Also best place for wheels too please
Cheers
Dave

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: 256MM REAR BRAKE CALIPERS - WORTH IT?
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2020, 22:47 »
Hi Guys
bought a W reg mk4 GTI a few weeks back - its had a new clutch & duel mass fly wheel, timing belt and water pump and today a service with oil change. I was told it needs new rear brake discs. Worth upgrading to 256mm whilst getting them done?
Planning on going to Nurburgring next year. Front ones are nearly new but the regular 288mm ones btw.
ALSO, one tyre is misshapen and the front two are cheap make - Mazzini, so thinking of upgrading them (doing all this over a few months) the current original alloys have been kerbed too, so possibly new wheels with some tyres that would get me round the Ring too (live very near Demon Tweeks(DT), so plenty there to chose) any recommendations on tyres and if I did buy new wheels too - keep to 16"? DT have these down on their competition page:
Uniroyal RainSport 5 Tyre at £78 each
Also best place for wheels too please
Cheers
Dave

Stick with the standard rear brakes and standard wheels and spend the money on decent suspension bushes all round and decent tyres

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-4/205/55/R16/W/91/m?tyre=36408223&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoeHZ1s6O6QIVV-DtCh0OxQptEAkYASABEgJ1_vD_BwE
« Last Edit: 29 April 2020, 22:50 by barrym381 »

Offline davewoo

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2020, 08:51 »
Thanks Barry, could you recommend where to get some decent bushes from, please?
« Last Edit: 30 April 2020, 10:57 by davewoo »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict

Offline davewoo

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2020, 15:16 »
Thanks againBarry - pestering now sorry, but can you put 232mm vented on the rear to replace the solids without changing calipers...?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2020, 17:20 »
Thanks againBarry - pestering now sorry, but can you put 232mm vented on the rear to replace the solids without changing calipers...?

Again I wouldn't bother as rear brakes are used way less than the front