Author Topic: MK2 Recaro Clad Rear Bench - How To Replace The Back Panel  (Read 10349 times)

Offline Gloves88

• I live here
Re: MK2 Recaro Clad Rear Bench - How To Replace The Back Panel
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2010, 22:26 »
Just done mine tonight... Looks great..

Will take some pics and do a how to sheet tomorrow but its pretty easy to do - just time consuming... so you don't rip or tear the seat upholstery... I think it could be done without having to strip the seat... But would have to try it first..

Was thinking about selling the carpet pre-cut and ready to fit... as I had to buy a massive amount of carpet to get some...

Well if you have enough to do a second I might take the spare off your hands if you want?

Pm me a price and pic if my offer interests you :)

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2010, 00:26 »
From This

To This....

In an hour...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2010, 01:17 »
How Too....

Needless to say the seat has to be taken out of the car....

Remove the two screws under the seat and unhook the latches on the back rest and take the seat out of he car...

I found it easier to separate the bottom from the back, this is done by undoing these two screws....

Next undo the back rest rubber pull release with a flat screwdriver...

Then remove the grommet thingy that the rubber pull release units plug into... I used a 3/4" block of wood and a hammer and knocked it out from where the latches are located between the back and the metal frame, they do have a couple of securing pegs that may hamper you just pulling them out as I found out...

Now undo the seat cover around the metal frame ... this simply pulls out... I started at the bottom where one of the wire supports joins the metal frame.. You could use a flat screwdriver but take care not to rip the seat cover... If you take your time and just use your fingers it will work - cost me two broken finger nails.

Now you can CAREFULLY remove the seat cover to free up the cardboard back and slot in your new carpet backing... Note the backing has 6 locating lugs in the metal framework use these to hold the carpet and cardboard in place when reassembling...

Reassemble in reverse...

The only thing to note is when you are putting back the seat cover to the metal frame is to DOUBLE Wrap or fold it over TWICE, the Plastic edging which is stitched to the seat cover.. This will make the seat cover nice and taut... again use your hands as to avoid ripping the fabric and it will CLICK into place in the metal frame...

Job Done...

Hope you find this useful..
« Last Edit: 21 March 2010, 03:08 by X4MGS »

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!