Author Topic: Door creaking - again  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
Door creaking - again
« on: 20 September 2019, 18:28 »
(I may have posted an earlier message on the wrong section "Bodywork"? - apologies)

Watts, JoeGTI, Booth11 and others, what was the outcome of the discussion a couple of years ago?
Is there a solution?
My Mk7 is creaking at what sounds like, all four doors.
I tried those ArmorAll silicone wipes which seemed to work about 4 months ago, but the creaks are back again.
I've got some Gummiflege but it's not accessible to me at the moment - in store as we try to move house!

Thanks,   Peter_S
MY16 5-door Carbon Grey DSG PP DCC Michelin PS4S (March 2019) on 19” Santiagos Discover Media (Gen 2) Car-Net App-Connect (Apple CarPlay)

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
Re: Door creaking - again
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2019, 19:05 »
(I may have posted an earlier message on the wrong section "Bodywork"? - apologies)

Watts, JoeGTI, Booth11 and others, what was the outcome of the discussion a couple of years ago?
Is there a solution?
I tried those ArmorAll silicone wipes which seemed to work about 4 months ago, but the creaks are back again.
I've got some Gummiflege but it's not accessible to me at the moment - in store as we try to move house!

Thanks,   Peter_S

Get yourself some G 052 172 A1 lubricant for rubber seals Peter, works well...  :smiley:

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2019, 19:09 »
Yes I agree that this “special lubricant” is what works best. It ain’t cheap but it will do the job.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2019, 19:20 »
It's not a VW only lubricant, other vehicle manufacturers sell the same stuff or similar too. I think mine was from Land Rover. Just buy the cheapest one you can. Mine lasted about 18 months/2 years before the creaking returned. Good stuff.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CSS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2019, 08:06 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 21 September 2019, 08:14 by CSS »

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2019, 09:52 »
thanks everybody, I'll order some of that lubricant.

It's nice to see that "EXPIRY DATE: NONE:" on that great image rwleigh gave us.
That should outlast us all!

Watts, noted thanks but I'll probably keep it simple and get it off a VW dealer. 
If I see it cheaper elsewhere the Parts Dept guy I usually see will probably price match it for me I think.

Watts, OT I know and apologies for that, but while you're there I just wanted to say how pleased I am with those Michelin Pilot Sport 4S you gave me advice on 6 months ago.

Peter_S
MY16 5-door Carbon Grey DSG PP DCC Michelin PS4S (March 2019) on 19” Santiagos Discover Media (Gen 2) Car-Net App-Connect (Apple CarPlay)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2019, 10:13 »

Is there a solution?

Thanks,   Peter_S

Sorry, missed this.  But as above Krytox Special Lubricant is the way to go.  Used in my mk6 GTI and my 7R and it’s extremely effective for lubricating door and window seals.  Ime, much better than Gummiflege which works to a degree but it’s effectiveness is short lived.   Did my R with it two years ago and still creak free. 

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/20642-rattles/?do=findComment&comment=340174
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2019, 17:45 »
Watts, noted thanks but I'll probably keep it simple and get it off a VW dealer. 
If I see it cheaper elsewhere the Parts Dept guy I usually see will probably price match it for me I think.

Watts, OT I know and apologies for that, but while you're there I just wanted to say how pleased I am with those Michelin Pilot Sport 4S you gave me advice on 6 months ago.

Peter_S

Simpicity is often the best way :smiley: Glad you're pleased with the PS4S, mine have been great too, 15k miles in and the fronts are down to around 3mm so they'll be on the rear soon which are on around 5mm. Should get around 20k miles from the set. I'll probably get another set unless someone comes up with something better :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2019, 13:33 »
On the Krytox topic again, Krytox is just a trademark name by Dupont for Perfluoropolyether (PFPE) oil. A company called ""envirotech" manufactures and sells the same stuff, just not Dupont branded, for around £15.50 per 400mL aerosol (inc primary delivery), if you're prepared to buy 12 cans, or about £17.70 each if buying 6 - Anyone interested in a group buy? There is supposedly a half price code for this month that doesn't appear to work, with a message to say it has expired or reached its usage limit. Might be worth a call to try and get it honoured, if it worked, we'd be looking at £9 a can delivered to the primary recipient.

Onward delivery might be tricky as the aerosol is considered flammable, RM will let you send certain aerosols up to 500mL in standard post now, but it's mainly for deodorants etc - and the propellant in those is also flammable, so not sure if you could just chance it to send as a small pack to individuals. Might be easier to set up regional buys e.g. for me, interested parties in Tyne and Wear.

Ebay link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-X-Fine-Ultra-PFPE-Lubricant-which-is-what-Krytox-is-for-VW-Eos-roof-seal/302952168543?hash=item46895b3c5f:g:lXYAAOSwuTxWAU50

Manufacturer's own website

https://www.envirotec-industries.co.uk/fine-ultra-lube

Anyone up for it?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2019, 22:14 »
monkeyhanger, count me in please.  I’m in Darlington so quite near you I guess.

I’ve just found out that Krytox is £41 or so from my VW dealer.  That’s more than I’m prepared to pay.
I’m paying a visit to the dealer tomorrow (complimentary
winter health check) so I’m going to ask them for a quick wipe-round from their Krytox bottle.  Worth a try don’t you think?
BTW do you put it on the “fat” seal on the body or, in narrow rubber channel on the door, or both?

Thanks    Peter_S