Author Topic: 7.5 Performance Rattle  (Read 4260 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
7.5 Performance Rattle
« on: 16 September 2019, 08:54 »
The subject of GTI rattles is already well aired on this forum. However........

My MY 19 car has developed a persistent "tinny" little rattle which seems to come from behind the dashboard.
It is evident on some road surfaces and mostly under throttle load of any kind. On some smooth tarmac is is absent.

I have emptied the car of all contents, checked the sunvisors and mirrors and eliminated car keys rattling. The soundaktor is unplugged and the connecting wires taped up securely so it's not that old chestnut.

Anyone else suffering or got an idea please?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: 7.5 Performance Rattle
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2019, 09:37 »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2019, 13:00 »
Plastic cap that sits behind the rear view mirror. Mine wasn't even fitted correctly from the factory.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2019, 14:05 »
Plastic mirror cap seems fine, but thanks.
Rattle is still there but 50pc less when off the gas so I’m guessing it’s not the turbo wastegate.
I’ve also checked the tightness of the screw holding the below-dash blanking plate at my right knee as this has recently been discussed on the forum as a cause.
I seem to recall someone suggesting brake pipes???
The “biscuit tin rattle” is definitely specific to certain types of abrasive road surface. Smooth fresh asphalt produces nothing.
Any other ideas from members will be very gratefully received as I have swapped a 100 pc tight and perfect late Mk7 for this and it is irritating me on a daily basis.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2019, 14:11 »
This was my rattle:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=285159.0

Not a he screw holding the plate, but the tongue not being properly located.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2019, 15:48 »
I remember this post now!
Thanks....will try this and report back!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2019, 17:14 »
I've currently got a rattle from what I think is the mf steering wheel buttons. Highly annoying.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2019, 17:41 »
I’ve only got the dash binicle rattle, the front door cards rattle and the seatbelt adjuster drivers rattle and the suspension creaks when you go over speed bumps (vw looked but couldnt find anything wrong and car was returned with multiple deep scratches on the back of the steering wheel, and they’ve been emailing me to take part in their questionnaire 🤔)

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2019, 20:37 »
Mine rattles, its been in for a creaking seat fix so I mentioned it, a very short test drive and the mechanic heard it but when I returned to pick the car up after the seat fixing they were unable to find or replicate the rattle again, it returned the next day so I would be interested in what you find.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline msrowell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2019, 21:35 »
Had two rattles on mine which seemed to come from the steering column area. The first was traced to a cable harness which is clipped to a circular cross member behind the dash. The clip goes through a hole in the crossmember and the very small movement was making a 'tizzing' sound at certain revs. Fixed by wedging a piece of foam under the harness. The second took longer to find. It was a quite loud rattle coming from the area of the steering column and was traced to the knee airbag unit which is held by three bolts. The whole unit seemed solidly mounted but loosening the bolts and moving the airbag a couple of millimetres fixed it. Now I've just got to find the rattle in the passenger door!