Author Topic: New logo  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: New logo
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2019, 14:04 »
Its probably much easier to cut, stamp etc, as there are less gaps to worry about and the gap beneath 'W' inside the circle is now one large area rather than 3 smaller areas when the 'W' touched the Circle.  Speaking as a repro artist for print who deals with branding on a daily basis, I would say the production side of things has had a say in the final logo design.  As someone earlier in the thread said, it's probably, partly a cost cutting exercise.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2019, 21:27 »
Its probably much easier to cut, stamp etc, as there are less gaps to worry about and the gap beneath 'W' inside the circle is now one large area rather than 3 smaller areas when the 'W' touched the Circle.  Speaking as a repro artist for print who deals with branding on a daily basis, I would say the production side of things has had a say in the final logo design.  As someone earlier in the thread said, it's probably, partly a cost cutting exercise.

I was hoping you’d give an educated opinion on the logo  :smiley:
That’s an excellent insight into how the graphic design side of it works. Obviously there must be dozens of meetings between the various parties involved, focus groups and the board before sign off.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2019, 13:23 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2019, 08:07 »

No doubt about it, costs were a factor and it's part of a much wider drive across every aspect of VW largely driven by dieselgate and the cost of tooling for electric and through their electric led 'Transform 2025+' strategy. I can't say too much but the brand architecture and execution was done by Metadesign in Berlin but I noticed that in the press releases, 19 internal design and marketing teams, and 17 external agencies were included in the process.

Having done things like this before, I don't think customers understand just how much work goes into what appears to be a minor tweak or the sheer scale of the task in getting approval and consensus with all the stakeholders. But the 3D logo did look dated so this was necessary.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2019, 09:17 »

Having done things like this before, I don't think customers understand just how much work goes into what appears to be a minor tweak or the sheer scale of the task in getting approval and consensus with all the stakeholders. But the 3D logo did look dated so this was necessary.

I can believe how much goes in to such a minor tweak to artwork and branding.  It is the bane of my life at work and can drive a simple graphic designer/artworker absolutely crazy.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2019, 23:50 »

The evolution of the VW Logo.
It's gone really retro, harking back to 1945/60's. Looks even more retro on the car badge. Guess it's following what most brands are doing, getting it a simple as possible. For me though, it's just a bit weedy. Think VW should have been a bit thicker.

Thicker, like their engine software engineers?
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Steve07

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2019, 09:07 »
My current Mk 7.5 GTI Performance is my first VW after many years in BMWs, Audis and Mercedes’s.
The new logo looks modern and clean IMHO

The evolution of the badge is very interesting
Thank you

The evolution of the VW Logo.
It's gone really retro, harking back to 1945/60's. Looks even more retro on the car badge. Guess it's following what most brands are doing, getting it a simple as possible. For me though, it's just a bit weedy. Think VW should have been a bit thicker.