Author Topic: Rear Window Camera & 90% Tints.  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Rear Window Camera & 90% Tints.
« on: 06 September 2019, 08:50 »
Planning to fit a Next Base 522 dash cam and I would like to also have the rear window camera. Has anyone fitted a rear window camera (of any type) with 90% tints? How much does the tint affect the operation of the camera and the quality of the pictures obtained?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: Rear Window Camera & 90% Tints.
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2019, 09:37 »
Just an idea but you could see what the results of taking a picture with your phone would be like?

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2019, 06:59 »
Yes, but that’s just another way of demonstrating that light is lost. My eyes can see that - I was hoping that someone had actual experience of operating a rear window camera through 90% tint glass.
Roger.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2019, 08:31 »
It's probably going to depend on the quality of the camera more than anything. Does the next base have 4k camera and super night vision etc?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2019, 09:34 »
It's probably going to depend on the quality of the camera more than anything. Does the next base have 4k camera and super night vision etc?

Well it can record up to 1080p, but no comment from the manufacturer on night vision and a comment on Amazan that night vision is not good, so .........? I suppose, in the end, anything is better than nothing, so I’ll probably just give it a try.
Roger.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2019, 08:33 »
The wifes Mini 0806 is fine in the back of her car. The aperture will adjust because it is all dark so will average out the exposure.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2019, 09:10 »
Sounds good. I’m going to try it anyway.  :smiley:
Roger.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2019, 07:44 »
Planning to fit a Next Base 522 dash cam and I would like to also have the rear window camera. Has anyone fitted a rear window camera (of any type) with 90% tints? How much does the tint affect the operation of the camera and the quality of the pictures obtained?

My advice is to contact Tiffany at Nextbase.
This lady is an absolute whiz at her job and will provide you with an answer pdq or faster.
If your not in already, join the DashCamTalk forum and go into the Nextbase section, there you can speak to Tiffany or one of her team immediately.

The rear cam and cabling has been changed slightly and may still be under further development, so they may have something different for your application.

Hope this helps.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2019, 08:42 »
Thanks for that Mike! Didn’t think of there being a specific forum for dash cams!
Roger.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2019, 12:04 »
In the process of fitting these and just tried the rear window cam for position and picture quality. It appears to give a really good picture through to 90% tint glass - at least as good as the VW reversing camera - so I am very pleased.

Getting the rear window camera cable through the rubber cable tube, between the hatch and the car roof, was a bit of a fiddle, but the rest of the job looks reasonably straight forward. I have the hard wired kit, which includes piggy back fuse holders etc, so should have the system working soon.

I didn’t contact Tiffany, Mike, but the forum you mentioned was full of very negative comment. Like a lot of forums, it seems to be just an outlet for people with, what they see as, duff products. So far, I am very pleased with the quality and function of Nextbase gear.
Roger.