Author Topic: I know, I know but which exhaust...  (Read 6283 times)

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
I know, I know but which exhaust...
« on: 20 August 2019, 20:14 »
...would you go with?

I know it’s always subjective but I’ve had Millteks on previous MkIV GTI’s and Supersprint plus others on BMWs etc but I’m wondering which have you gone with and why?

I’ve got a Mk7 GTI PP and I’m looking to replace the stock system but wonder also what the sound difference is between resonated and non-resonated. I’ve checked plenty of you tube vids but it’s always difficult to really tell.

If anyone’s near me in Wolves/Birmingham and has a Milltek or similar on theirs and is willing to meet up I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,

Raj.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2019, 20:20 by rajb »

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: I know, I know but which exhaust...
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2019, 23:07 »
Think Remus do some great exhausts for the Mk7.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2019, 00:27 »
Think Remus do some great exhausts for the Mk7.

Thanks for the reply.

Have been looking at Remus and others to compare.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2019, 09:13 »
...would you go with?

I know it’s always subjective but I’ve had Millteks on previous MkIV GTI’s and Supersprint plus others on BMWs etc but I’m wondering which have you gone with and why?

I’ve got a Mk7 GTI PP and I’m looking to replace the stock system but wonder also what the sound difference is between resonated and non-resonated. I’ve checked plenty of you tube vids but it’s always difficult to really tell.

If anyone’s near me in Wolves/Birmingham and has a Milltek or similar on theirs and is willing to meet up I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,

Raj.

I'd go for Milltek, Scorpion or Cobra.

Remus are way overpriced

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2019, 09:27 »
...would you go with?

Thanks,

Raj.

Remus are way overpriced

Milltek - Yes,
Scorpion - Yes,
Cobra - Never again!

Had a Cobra sport on my old Astra VXR. Poor quality stainless throughout and had to have the tailpipe replaced. By the time the replacement had corroded again, I was in Cyprus, so scotchbrited the tailpipe and sprayed it satin black.

Got a Milltek on the GTI and it's a night and day comparison.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2019, 09:47 »

Remus are way overpriced

Thanks for the reply.

I’m leaning towards Milltek as have had them before.

Interested in the resonated / non res difference in sound to get an idea of which way to go.

I’d like a bit more burble but not to be intrusive too much.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2019, 09:50 »

Milltek - Yes,
Scorpion - Yes,
Cobra - Never again!

Had a Cobra sport on my old Astra VXR. Poor quality stainless throughout and had to have the tailpipe replaced. By the time the replacement had corroded again, I was in Cyprus, so scotchbrited the tailpipe and sprayed it satin black.

So another positive for the Milltek.

Do you have the resonated or non on yours and how does it sound compared to stock?

Some of the sound clips etc are hit and miss and a few I’ve listened to didn’t have a huge difference between stock and upgraded whereas others seem might and day difference lol

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2019, 10:11 »

Milltek - Yes,
Scorpion - Yes,
Cobra - Never again!

So another positive for the Milltek.

Do you have the resonated or non on yours and how does it sound compared to stock?

Some of the sound clips etc are hit and miss and a few I’ve listened to didn’t have a huge difference between stock and upgraded whereas others seem might and day difference lol

Mine's this one... http://www.millteksport.com/non-resonated-cat-back-exhaust-system-ssxvw230mp.html

...which is now called the "unresonated" one. Without knowing how you like the volume on your cars, I can only describe mine as "Beefy but not overly loud" and doesn't drone. I think it sounds great and am glad I went for this rather than the 1 box setup which I reckon would be too loud. Bare in mind that if you are going to be getting a downpipe later on, this increases the volume of the system considerably, so if that's your plan, I'd definitely go for this over the 1 box - in fact, I'd even be tempted with the EC approved system.

I'm quite an OEM+ type of person, so don't like it too loud - just to let you know my tastes (in comparison to what yours might be).
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2019, 11:03 »

Mine's this one... http://www.millteksport.com/non-resonated-cat-back-exhaust-system-ssxvw230mp.html

...which is now called the "unresonated" one. Without knowing how you like the volume on your cars, I can only describe mine as "Beefy but not overly loud" and doesn't drone. I think it sounds great and am glad I went for this rather than the 1 box setup which I reckon would be too loud. Bare in mind that if you are going to be getting a downpipe later on, this increases the volume of the system considerably, so if that's your plan, I'd definitely go for this over the 1 box - in fact, I'd even be tempted with the EC approved system.

I'm quite an OEM+ type of person, so don't like it too loud - just to let you know my tastes (in comparison to what yours might be).

Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like I'm a similar type to yourself so the non-res could be the way to go. I definitely don't want any drone but don't plan to go with DP's as my other car is highly modded so this one is supposed to be more civilised  :rolleyes: according to my wife.

I looked at the resonated version as it had the larger backbox instead of the non-res smaller box in the straight pipe but from what you've described that could be too quiet still.

Will try and check more sound clips.

Thanks again.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2019, 15:05 »
How about going oem and adding a CSS backbox? Seems popular and an econmical option.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.