Author Topic: Golf - currently 2nd best selling car in the UK  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Golf - currently 2nd best selling car in the UK
« Reply #20 on: 28 August 2019, 07:47 »
I have to say, being the *cough* "wrong" side of 50, I was at first perhaps a little self conscious at getting the GTI, when perhaps a Jag or a Lexus more suited my advancing years, but I have to say, it's a hoot. Frugal, quiet and as civilised as you could want (especially with the excellent DCC), but can really motor when it wants to.

The thoughts that I need to "grow up and act my age" quickly vanished as not only is the Golf such a versatile car, but still somehow manages to cross that age and social status boundary like no other car I know can. It's as at home at a young persons club meet, as it is at a fine country hotel or posh restaurant etc. Whilst I am sure they are excellent cars, I don't think you could say the same about a Focus ST or a Honda Civic Type R.   

Having had a Golf MK1, MK2, MK3, MK5 and 3 MK7's, my opinion is the MK7 is the best of the bunch, and I can only think to knock it off it's throne, the MK8 will have to be something very special indeed ?
« Last Edit: 28 August 2019, 07:50 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 28 August 2019, 08:00 »
might be something to do with me only having a mile commute to the office though!

Have you thought about a bicycle?

Or maybe walking if there are footpaths en route :smiley:.

I've thought about both but neither sound quite so good on cold start...….  :grin:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 28 August 2019, 08:06 »
Sootchucker - I have to agree totally, approaching mid 40's myself and I did get some stick from friends (non-petrol heads) over both my R and GTI PP, comments along the lines of mid-life crisis etc. But tell me another car that can be invisible or an absolute riot depending on your mood?

FYI - one of the 'mid-life crisis friends' is now considering buying one!! :grin:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 28 August 2019, 09:26 »
Sootchucker - I have to agree totally, approaching mid 40's myself and I did get some stick from friends (non-petrol heads) over both my R and GTI PP, comments along the lines of mid-life crisis etc. But tell me another car that can be invisible or an absolute riot depending on your mood?

FYI - one of the 'mid-life crisis friends' is now considering buying one!! :grin:

Such a good car that can adapt to a lot of different situations and environments. Never looks out of place.

One of my most enjoyable run-outs was 85 miles round the Peaks with a mate in his GT4. 7 am on a Saturday morning, not much traffic and some great local roads. Hardly anything between them most of the time.

My previous 7.5 230 GTI was just as much fun and kept up (and left some!) around Wales with a bunch of mates in more powerful stuff. Twisty roads on the way to and around the Brecons and the GTI was in its element.

And yet it does nursery runs, commute to work, tip trips, and can get all my detailing stuff in as well for regular jobs.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 28 August 2019, 09:38 »
Now they look like some good days!!!

and I like your style, get your mates to drive around the country with you on some cracking roads and then charge them when they want their motors detailing afterwards! :grin:

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 28 August 2019, 09:45 »
I have to say, being the *cough* "wrong" side of 50, I was at first perhaps a little self conscious at getting the GTI, when perhaps a Jag or a Lexus more suited my advancing years, but I have to say, it's a hoot. Frugal, quiet and as civilised as you could want (especially with the excellent DCC), but can really motor when it wants to.

The thoughts that I need to "grow up and act my age" quickly vanished as not only is the Golf such a versatile car, but still somehow manages to cross that age and social status boundary like no other car I know can. It's as at home at a young persons club meet, as it is at a fine country hotel or posh restaurant etc. Whilst I am sure they are excellent cars, I don't think you could say the same about a Focus ST or a Honda Civic Type R.   

Having had a Golf MK1, MK2, MK3, MK5 and 3 MK7's, my opinion is the MK7 is the best of the bunch, and I can only think to knock it off it's throne, the MK8 will have to be something very special indeed ?
I'm 67 just sold my GTI P/P ( great car ) for an Audi S3. Still own a '83 MK1 GTI Cab. and love driving around in our Beetle Convertible. Age? what's that.  It's only a number. I'm not ready for a pipe and slippers car yet.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 28 August 2019, 11:15 »
Now they look like some good days!!!

and I like your style, get your mates to drive around the country with you on some cracking roads and then charge them when they want their motors detailing afterwards! :grin:

Yes, that's about right!

The XKR had a full machine polish and ceramic as did the GT4  :cool:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 28 August 2019, 11:55 »
very nice work sir...………. as long as you managed to avoid the dreaded phrase of 'mates rates?' :rolleyes:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 28 August 2019, 12:08 »
very nice work sir...………. as long as you managed to avoid the dreaded phrase of 'mates rates?' :rolleyes:

:grin: Yes managed to avoid that!
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 13 September 2019, 13:22 »
Just found out what the UKs 3rd best selling car was in August, after the Fiesta and Golf.....

No wonder they are having trouble delivering them all!

1. Ford Fiesta                     3,978

2. VW Golf                          3,439

3. Tesla Model 3                 2,082

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/tesla-model-3-was-uks-no-3-selling-car-august
NOW - 330e M Sport