Author Topic: DTUK Pedal box question  (Read 6022 times)

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
DTUK Pedal box question
« on: 09 May 2016, 15:50 »
Does anybody know if these are model specific or interchangeable between models? Anyone tried?

I.E mk7 GTi to GTD to R?

DTUK seemed a bit vague- they 'think' they are programmed differently? I assume the connections are identical between all 3?

I was hoping as the pedal box is essentially an amp it might be a case of one size fits all on VAG cars of the same platform??

Chris

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
Re: DTUK Pedal box question
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2016, 15:58 »
As long as the pedal connection plug is the same the box is interchangable between cars and too my knowldge all MK7s have the same connector.  I transfered mine from a GTI to my R no problem.

You might need to use a different stting on different cars, especially if one has a DSG box - you need to use lowwer settings for DSG - but the box is very adjustable
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2016, 16:11 »
Most helpful-cheers!

Our GTD just has the (seemingly usual) compliant of a very woolly feeling to the first part of the throttle pedal travel

I'm hopeful a pedal box will transform it- certainly the reviews I've read allude to it

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2016, 16:26 »
I took the one out of my GTI and put it straight in my R too.
The car is hideous to drive without it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2016, 16:34 »
I took the one out of my GTI and put it straight in my R too.
The car is hideous to drive without it.

It must be a mk7 thing as my mk1 Leon was fine...

I'm a bit spoilt though comparing the 7 to my N/A VTEC Honda daily which is as excellent as the GTD is bad where throttle response is concerned. Can't beat a good old cable  :nerd:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2016, 16:41 »
It's that impossible middle ground we all seek - normally aspirated cable throttle response versus modern turbo thrust!!
I also still run a cable throttled N/A car so know exactly where you're coming from.
I also used to have a Leon Cupra mk1 many years ago and these didn't suffer the same dead throttle.
The crap response started with the mk5 Golf platform and got much worse with the mk7.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2016, 19:15 »
It's the one glaring problem with the standard car!

The DTUK box has given it excellent go but the pedal box will be the icing on the cake if it sorts the woeful response.

Sport mode is 'better' for sure but still not good enough for me :embarrassed:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2016, 19:59 »
Throttle response is a problem across all marques and even in N/A engines  :sad:

Did a 1.2 Corsa the other day and to get the thing moving involved the accelerator pedal meeting the bulkhead; it's borderline dangerous.

Manufacturers have the ability to dial in throttle response so why they don't I have no idea. Still, it means business for me, so I shouldn't complain  :whistle: :grin:

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2016, 13:43 »
As my pedal box is going to have to wait until next month I have selected the car into individual mode & set the engine to 'sport' mode.

Hoping this will improve throttle response somewhat as I've read it only tweaks the throttle pedal map as opposed to any ECU settings?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2016, 13:58 »
Yes, "sport mode" is just a fly by wire throttle map, no ECU changes.

Oh and why does the stock map seem so meh? Because it reduces emissions...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC