Author Topic: New key problems 2016 Polo  (Read 2692 times)

Offline G-Unit13

• Not said much yet
New key problems 2016 Polo
« on: 24 October 2019, 18:40 »
Bought a new key for a 2016 Polo and took it to VW for coding/programming and they told me the key doesn't register to be coded. Spoke to the guy I got the new key from and he told me VW can't do it but auto locksmiths can. Is there a reason for this? Do auto locksmiths just clone the original key or actually code/program the key
2016 Golf GTi Performance

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: New key problems 2016 Polo
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2019, 13:05 »
All sounds a bit weird, not sure why the manufacturer couldn't program a new blank
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2019, 21:51 »
keys made in the vw secure key room come partially pre-coded to your vin. this then gets paired to your car using the official dealer diag tool (odis) and gets registered on the geko server (immobiliser/security server). This means somewhere in Germany a computer always knows how many keys you have for your car. A non-genuine key will not be pre-coded so cannot be added to the server or programmed the official way. Auto locksmiths that aren't using odis will be simply cloning your existing key, which doesn't have a great success rate on newer cars. I've seen them try to add a new immo ID to the car for a new key and it can cause all sorts of weird issues. I fully appreciate how extortionate the new key prices are from VW but it really is the best way to avoid problems. I won't even attempt to program a key for a customer unless it's one I've supplied through official channels or if they have a receipt from TPS/VW.

Offline G-Unit13

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2019, 07:54 »
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it wasn't a genuine key when VW told me it won't connect to the car
2016 Golf GTi Performance