Author Topic: krisbattye - 16v converted mk2  (Read 5595 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
krisbattye - 16v converted mk2
« on: 20 January 2006, 13:06 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
Re: krisbattye - 16v converted mk2
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2006, 13:46 »
Thanks JV

Where to start . . the golf was a mk2 1.8 8v driver on a G plate. I  bought the car from my brother last september with a blown head gasket, knackered steering rack, dodgy bottom arms, rusty bot lid, 4 bald tyres etc. . .  ou see the picture i am setting.

I set to work and pulled out the existing 1.8 8v driver motor out and replaced it with one from a mk1 cabrio (j reg)
It leaked a little bit of oil and eventually over 2 weeks developed an unbearable squeal i could not stand and couldnt find to sort out so . . . i bought a jetta 1.8 16v for £120.
the engine had 100,000 miles on the clock . . . . BARGAIN!!!

So i set about and gutted the golf of engine and interior.
I fitted a new steering rack, new brake lines, new fuel lines, GTI 16v servo and mastercylinder, rear axle, 16v front hubs and calipers.
The engine transplant was easy and straight forward BUT  the hardest part was getting an F reg 16vb engine running in a G reg car using the F reg wiring loom.
I decided to make life easy i would trasnplant the full wiring loom over and sort out the rear light wiring.

After a few days the engine was in and wiring loom was in and plugged in.

I sourced a stainless exhasut for the car that was advertised as a 16v one but after getting it and trying to fit it found it was an 8v exhasut.  So to make life easy i bought a full 16v standard system and fitted it.

Now the car was sat ready for starting . . . . after turning it over 3 times to prime the fuel lines etc it started and sounds brilliant.

After hunting around for some better suspension i found some supersport coilovers for a bargain and fitted them dropping the car on its back . . think it is lowered by 80mm maybe more.
It looked quite good with the steel wheels but it would really look better with some alloys.

I hunted around for a while comparing wheels and what would look best.  I found a set of wolfrace alloys (black in the middle with a sort of deep dish effect.  (i will post up some pics soon)
At this point things were coming long nicely.

So the interior . . . to get me by while i decided what i would do i decided to make the jetta interior fit.
The front seats were easy all i need to do is fit the hands to the seats to make them tilt.
Ther ear seats were not to bad.   the bottom half just unclipped and fitted over the standard seat frame the rear half need some wleding and bending but it now fits really well. (all it needs is some 3 door black door cards.

I still have a list to do and it will be done as soon as i get my sportsbike up and running so i have transport to work.

New drivers door and passenger door to fit
New bonnet to fit
New boot lid to fit.
2 new front wings to fit. (with no lip)
bumpers smoothing over and painting
G60 arches need smoothing and painting.
Full body re-spray (due early feb)
Seats re-trimming in half leather to match new body colour
new rear polybushes in rear axle
new disks and pads front and back
Overhaul the gear lever bushes
front strut bar
inside boot - repaint and tidy up
GTI 16v supercharged lump (currently building)

WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2006, 13:52 »

WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2006, 10:18 »
Well its been a bit quiet on the 16v conversion project as i use it for work and i have been sorting out my other little project i bought (mk3 polo coupe)
Things will start to get hectic over the next few weeks tho so watch this space.
I will be prepping my new drivers door, boot lid, bonnet and front wings ready for a full respray due to start in a week.  I will be removing the aerial hole in the wing, the boot lid will be de-wipered and de-badged.  I need to weld up the spare windscreen wiper hole on the front cuttle panel and start to filler primer the car.
The Body is staying pretty standard with no drastic cutting and welding. 

The arches, bumpers and side rubbing strips will all be flatted down with wet and dry paper ready to be filler primered and painted nice and smooth.

I am undecided whether to keep the mirrors a matt black or colour code them gloss black.

The new front arches will be rolled flat so that i can fit some 205-225 tyres on with the car sat as low as i can. (bearing in mind there are loads of speed humps near where i live.)

The car is set to look quite standard but i plan on getting the engine tweaked and a full rollcage fitted in a month or so.

I really need to sort out the sunroof some idiot had fitted at some point in its life.  The seals are well past its sell by date and a replacement seal is no longer available.
It is a really weird size as well so i have priced up a new one and it is riduculously priced.  Not too sure what i'm going to do with it yet!!

WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2006, 17:29 »
Well things have really gone full speed ahead this week.

i stripped the car on sunday ready for prepping for the full re spray.
I have fitted 2 new front wings, a new bonnet, a better drivers door without rust and a new boot lid.
i have rolled the arches ready for my wider tyres to fit under there.
Whilst i have been in a prepping mood  have smoothed off the front bumper (filled the number plate recess), smoother off the GTI arches and smoother off the rubbing strips down the side.
unfortunately i managed to crack the windscreen when i tried to take it out so i have a new tinted one on order ready to pick up tomorrow.
I have been to see about a new sunroof which should be fitted a week on saturday.
The whole car is in primer at the moment sat on the drive looking really sorry for itself.
I have primed all the plastics and just finished painting them.  They look Excellent!!!!!!
If i can get the rest of the car to look smooth and as shiney as glass then i will be more than impressed.
Pics will follow when i can find my cable for the camera.

Left to do
Full roll cage
Rear window tinting to match the rear quarter windows
Front strut brace
Seats stitching up as the seem has broken but the foam is like new.
VDO guages fitting in to dash board
CD player relocating to centre console
WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2006, 08:16 »
some pics for you to look at:

WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2006, 07:47 »
Well what a weekend!!!!

I had to flat the paint back on friday night in the garag as the paint had water bubbles from the compressor in it.
Got up on saturday and had a new sunroof fitted. (at last i wont get wet in the car when it rains)  Top blokes at Vasco in wakefield for fitting it after a heavy night drinking the previous night  :grin: :grin:
Got home about dinner time and set about and just swilled all the crap off the car. 
Dragged it in to the garage and stuck on the heaters. (was nice and toasty in about an hour)
The car got a few good coats of deep black.  I re-painted the bumpers as well and it looks really good. (pics to follow)
The car was re-built last night as i use it for work everyday.

I have been to look at an other 5 door mk2 golf GL Auto on sunday so guess what my next project base will be  :smiley:
After winning a GTI 16v lump with power steering for £50 and picking up a charger that needs re-building i see a plan coming together  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2006, 14:43 »
Bit of an update to add.
Here are some pics of the next project car that i pick up in a week or so. (just got to organise a garage to keep it and work on it.)

http://www.throttlemonkey.co.uk/forums/index.php?automodule=gallery&cmd=user&user=1&op=view_album&album=48&st=9

I have tidied up my recent project and awaiting the power steering rack and pipes and my new big bumper fog lamps.
The front engine mount had started to knock so i have fitted a spare one i had. I must pick up a solid front mount soon.
I have got my bit of exhust pipe 6ft6 to be precise.  I'm sick of the exhaust blowing on the join to the front pipe so i'm going to cut the front silencer out and run a straight through pipe to the silencer just in front of the axle.
(may make a bit more noise but at least the exhaust wont knock and rattle under the car.
I have finally fitted my square front plate.  Think it doesnt look too bad. 
I didnt want the plate in the standard plate area as i went through the trouble of flushing of the bumpers.
All that needs to be done over the next few weeks is to sort out the roll cage and get the fuelling setup checked.

WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk

Offline krisbattye

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2006, 10:56 »
Well its been a month and a half on my Golf.  I have bought yet another 16v from up in Newcastle.  Car looked a bit rough but that wasnt a problem as i wanted it for bits really.
The 16v motor in my golf decided it didnt want to play any more.  The oil light kept fading in when the revs picked up.  Checked all the sensors and they were ok.  I put it down to the oil pump.

As its my daily runner i needed it running ASAP so i pulled the engine out of the car i bought from newcastle.  Got it all plumbed in and running nicely.  left it running for halfd and hour and turned it off to sort out an oil leak.
Started it up and it ran fine for 10 mins then an almighty clunk and it stopped.  Tried to re-strart but that was it.   . . . . Nothing.
So back in to the garage it went and the engine was out before it had even started to cool down.  Still warm in the corner my next cunning plan was ticking away.
A power steering rack i had bought was hanging on the wall ready to be dropped in.   Sub Frame dropped down and power steering rack fitted, this was going to be a very long friday evening. 
So after faffing around got the sub frame bolted back up.

The 16v motor i picked up off e-bay for £50 was destined to be fitted as it already had the power steering pump fitted.  I know i put all my eggs in to one basket but it was the only engine sat in the garage that was ready to go in.  I bolted my gearbox to the motor and lowered the engine in.
Everything was bolted up and plumbed in within an hour. (someone has suggested applying to the WRC for a job changing engines)
Turn the key nad the battery was slowly dying.  But that wasnt going to stop me trying to get it started.
Battery charger was at home . . NO!!!
Ahhh there's a VR6 parked in the corner . . . so where has he left the keys . . . . found the keys and the VR barked in to life.
Grabbed my jump leads and connected it all up.  Left it 5 mins then tried to start the 16v.   HOORAY!!!    The 16v fired up and was very quiet without any rattles.  BONUS!!!
So go round and re-tighten all the bolts.  The 16v i bought earlier in the week had electric windows fitted. . . . they have now been transferred accross to my car but the passenger side motor has given up on me.

When the summer finally arrives i want to pull it back in to the garage and remove the horrible nasty plastic arch trims and side rubbing strips.  Then i need to fabricate some MK1 repair arches on to the MK2 to flare them out.
WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk