Author Topic: Austens being powder coated next week, not sure what colour to choose  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Tommyboy72

• Just got here
I have a white 5 door mk7 GTi and the Austen’s are looking awful. I have the car booked in next week to have the wheels powder coated as although I couldn’t have them re cut I know that they will look just as bad again in a year or so.
I would like some suggestions regarding colour. I initially thought black but the guy at the wheel refinishers thinks they will look wrong on my car and has suggested a dark grey similar to Audi style wheels. If anyone has an opinion I am happy Tom listen, even better if the opinion comes with a couple of photos to back it up!
Thanks,
Tom

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Great idea, the Austin wheels are basically a liability with owning a GTi.

A dark silver should work well with a white car.

Look forward to pictures to see how they come out.

Offline Little Lofty

• Not said much yet
I’m not keen on black, I’ve just had the wheels on my Clubsport replacement done in satin anthracite, pretty pleased with them.

Alfa Four Cheese

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
I’d go for anthracite grey powder coated finish. I think they’d look good on a white Golf.

I’m not keen on black alloys, as the detail of the wheel design tends to get lost on black wheels, plus they get grubby quite quickly with brake dust, and the tyres also look dirty against black wheels unless they’ve just been freshly dressed.

Not a GTI with Austin’s, but at post #66 in this thread on another forum there’s a Pure White mk7 GTI that has had its diamond cut Nogaro alloys powder coated a dark Audi Grey. I think they look good;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33327&page=4

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
I’m not keen on black, I’ve just had the wheels on my Clubsport replacement done in satin anthracite, pretty pleased with them.

Love the Alfa Giulia; sex on wheels. Love the colour too, and the anthracite alloys - a great combination.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
Sure there is a white car on autotrader with them painted black they look awful.

Can’t see them looking decent when painted one colour think they need the contrast.

Offline Tommyboy72

• Just got here
Thanks for all the replies. Think I will go the anthracite route, will post some pics up middle of next week when it is all done.

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
I'm selling a set of Parkers off my 3 week old golf gti if that's of any interest ??
. Not sure how much yet and whether to sell with the tyres or not.im open to suggestions/offers :)
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.