Author Topic: 1000's of white dot's on windscreen!  (Read 4825 times)

Offline lewi

• Not said much yet
Re: 1000's of white dot's on windscreen!
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2010, 17:13 »
Have they painted anything near you ?
Sounds like overspray.
It happened at my work where the painters were using a spray gun and it was windy and about 150 cars got paint all over them.
Is it on your front bumper?
Can you pick it off with your fingernail?
Try claying it.

Hey,

It was there when i brought the car but i haven't found it anywhere else!

Lewi

Offline lewi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2010, 17:15 »
hmmm... tricky one... what glass cleaner were you using?

Some 3 in 1 window cleaner that you usually use on your house windows!

It's not because of the cleaner but i think i am just noticing it more now since it is not caked in mud, dust and streaks too! Plus all the other windows are perfectly clean, just this damn front one.

Lewi

try a window cutting polish, by hand, might help... then if you can use a pressure washer as all the small bits of polish can stick in the minor abrasions in the glass... then.. if you can afford it, try a window sealant

might also suggest a bit of white vinegar on a tissue... as it is slightly acidic it will eat away any deposits and hard water scale... do not use white vinegar on your paintwork though!

Will try the cheaper option of the white vinegar and then look into a window cutting polish!

Have been trying to find a window sealant that will last longer than Rain X and deliver's to france but so far it's looking difficult!

Thanks and will let you know how the vinegar goes.

Lewi

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2010, 23:04 »

Have been trying to find a window sealant that will last longer than Rain X and deliver's to france but so far it's looking difficult!

Lewi

problem solved ;)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/carlack-glass-sealing-kit/prod_348.html

Offline Dawnskaybug

• GTI forum regular
  • GoAPR.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2010, 02:11 »
Does your insurance cover windscreen replacement?
 :undecided:
APR K04//APR Carbonio Intake//Hawk HPS pads//Adams Rotors//Billy Banks Downpipe//APR Rear Sway bar

Offline lewi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2010, 20:46 »
Does your insurance cover windscreen replacement?
 :undecided:

Yep but you have to pay about £50 one time fee as well as getting a brand new one over a second hand good condition one. Annoying!

I tried the vinegar and apart from getting the bugs off which a normal wash would have done and some mud it made no effect.

So i found the smoothest finger on my hand (not many since all the sanding etc i have been doing) and ran it across the screen... seems like they are in fact tiny tiny tiny chips in the glass!

Very weird as there are thousands and thousands of them all over but i am guessing no sealant or buffing etc will cure it for the moment right?

Lewi

Offline Dawnskaybug

• GTI forum regular
  • GoAPR.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2010, 23:56 »
DO you golf?
If so pretend the windscreen is the hole and start chipping away.
Or get a Hammer.
APR K04//APR Carbonio Intake//Hawk HPS pads//Adams Rotors//Billy Banks Downpipe//APR Rear Sway bar

Offline lewi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2010, 00:02 »
DO you golf?
If so pretend the windscreen is the hole and start chipping away.
Or get a Hammer.

What good would that do?

My insurance company doesn't come out and look at it! Already had a new windscreen on a rental car (that sucked) due to a tiny stone chip but right in front of the drivers view point.

Lewi