Author Topic: URGENT: Problem Bleeding Clutch on my Golf...Need Help  (Read 25555 times)

Offline Mr A

• Not said much yet
I decided to bleed my clutch as it was playing up a little with the gears, etc...

so i purchased the clutch fluid, found the bleed nipple, got my bro to put foot down on clutch and i opened the nipple, a little bit of fluid came out, i closed the nipple.

he then lifted clutch up and then down again, i did the same process of opening and closing the nipple. a little more fluid came out,

on the third attempt, nothing came out and also when my bro put foot down on clutch the pedal went all the way down and stayed there, he had to lift it up using his hand.

Now when we put foot on clutch the pedal goes down and stays there.

how do i sort this, i assume i have too much air in the system, how do i get rid of this.

i have tried pumping the clutch and then leaving it down and bleeding the nipple, nothing comes out :(

done this about 20 times....

i did this with the engine on (don't know if this makes any difference.)
- 1999 MkIV Golf TDi -
*  Repairs Needed = Faulty Passenger Door Module, VAGCOM set-up, Rear Wiper, Rust Treatment, Rear Wiper Motor, Battery or Glow Plugs, Stubby Aerial,

Offline EuanGtTdi

• I live here
Re: URGENT: Problem Bleeding Clutch on my Golf...Need Help
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2010, 15:31 »
mate i jsut did mine this morning and same happened to me bud... i just keeped on doing went through 2 bottles of brake fluid

and i had 3 ppl doing it bud pumping the pedal, keeping the fluid nice high and another doing the bleed nipple.

it should eventually come back! also i took the battery and the tray out so i could get to the bleed nipple easier
« Last Edit: 23 January 2010, 15:32 by EuanGtTdi »

Offline Mr A

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2010, 15:41 »
mate i jsut did mine this morning and same happened to me bud... i just keeped on doing went through 2 bottles of brake fluid

and i had 3 ppl doing it bud pumping the pedal, keeping the fluid nice high and another doing the bleed nipple.

it should eventually come back! also i took the battery and the tray out so i could get to the bleed nipple easier

2 bottle of break fluid, blimey, how comes you had to use sooo much, my fluid does not even move in the reservoir, nothing comes out of the bleed nipple

How long did it take you?

Did you also pump the clutch a few times before you leave it down?

Any tips would be really appreciated?

Did you do it with the engine on?

did you use any tubing etc,

- 1999 MkIV Golf TDi -
*  Repairs Needed = Faulty Passenger Door Module, VAGCOM set-up, Rear Wiper, Rust Treatment, Rear Wiper Motor, Battery or Glow Plugs, Stubby Aerial,

Offline EuanGtTdi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2010, 15:48 »
done it with the engine off!,

open the nipple..then push the clutch down...shut the nipple...clutch back up in this order! had to pull it back up by hand quite few times,

see-thro tubing off the nipple into a clear bottle,

gave it a couple of pumps now and again with the nipple closed.

it took a while to get all the air out mate..make sure you fluid resvior is topped up and high because the supply tube for the clutch is at the top of the resvior

Offline Purely VAG

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2010, 15:54 »
It really does take ages and alot of fluid.

I bought a vacuum bleeder, sucks on the nipple  :laugh:

But yeah its a tedious task and great fun if your doing it yourself - having to jump in car all time and back.

✉ Jrd@PurelyVAG.co.uk // www.PurelyVAG.co.uk

Offline gtibarnesy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2010, 15:58 »
you do not need the engine running to bleed the clutch.  try opening the nipple a little further but make sure it's closed before you let the pedal back up

Offline Mr A

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2010, 16:24 »
My fluid level is topped up to the max. 

It is such a tedious task to bleed the clutch, i really hope its worth it..

so to clarify...

I open the nipple
then press the clutch
close the nipple
lift the clutch back up again

(the reason i am clarifying the instructions is because i have read conflicting methods and its confusing)

for those people who have done it before, how long does it take? the reason i ask, i dont want to be there for hours and hours and then find out iv done summat wrong,

I have been attempting to follow the above instructions with no avail, no fluid is coming out and also the clutch pedal does not seem to be getting stiffer,
- 1999 MkIV Golf TDi -

Offline EuanGtTdi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2010, 17:44 »
yes mate thats the sequence to do it in,

what car have you got mate?...your wee diaphram valve thing like mine might be going...leaks all the clutch fluid out the system when press the clutch down

took me,dad and mum...20-35mins roughly mate

Offline Mr A

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2010, 22:45 »
Its a VW Golf GT TDI 1999 (T)

110 bhp

unsure about the diaphragm valve thing like. all i know is that i hope i sort it tomorrow as i have work on Monday :(
- 1999 MkIV Golf TDi -

Offline EuanGtTdi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2010, 12:46 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140670.0

check that wee diaphram valve mate..mines had cracked due to the cold weather im guessing and was leaking my fluid out so i ended up with half clutch and hard gears! so bought my new one and went thro the stages you are to bleed the system!

when bought the part from vw they said weve had to get about 10 off these in abt 2weeks...over this cold period im guessin there failing!