Author Topic: What To look out for on the 16vers? UPDATE VIEWING!  (Read 1821 times)

Offline +49

• Here all the time
What To look out for on the 16vers? UPDATE VIEWING!
« on: 06 January 2007, 23:39 »
Hi there i am new on these forums just like to say HI! :D

I am looking for purchase a bit of a ruffed 1989+ 16v Golf MK2 GTI as a project and 2nd car, i've allways loved these cars since i was younger and really want one as a project car and just restore it to the best condition i can over time (more orginal than modifiying)

I know the basics of most cars but i am wondering what to look out for on 18 year old golf gti's? they seem to be amazingly built and stupidly relible , whats the main mech problems on these cars? cos for me as long as the gearbox , engine , paints solid i can repair
anything else myself

Thx for any help or advise
« Last Edit: 14 January 2007, 12:36 by +49 »

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re: What To look out for on the 16vers?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2007, 13:40 »
the diff rivets gearbox is the main problem on 16v's - they all go, so alot of 16v's are running around now on non-16v boxes. likes of 8v gti boxes etc

so ask does it still have the original 2Y box, or if it has had the gearbox overhauled & the diff rivets replaced. there is a diff bolt kit u get which replaces the rivets and means the box wont go bang!!

apart from that, there is no other real weak points on them.

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2007, 14:29 »
The 16v engines aren't the quietest in the world but shouldn't be tappety. Check to make sure the oil is nice and clean and that it doesn't smoke under load. It should pull cleanly to the red line - noticaly harder from 4-4.5k upwards.

Other than that the main thing is what Gambit has already mentioned.

Being the two most expensive mechanical parts (I should know because I've replaced/rebuilt both in my Mk2) you should be ok if they are both in good condition.

Bodywork wise check under the fuel flap. They can get very rusty round there and are known to fall through when really bad. Have a good dig round the rear arches aswell and you should be just about done.

Good luck!  :smiley:
08.03.10 - 3, maybe 4 weeks, and I want my golf back on the road!

Offline Coog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2007, 16:45 »
the diff rivets gearbox is the main problem on 16v's - they all go, so alot of 16v's are running around now on non-16v boxes. likes of 8v gti boxes etc

so ask does it still have the original 2Y box, or if it has had the gearbox overhauled & the diff rivets replaced. there is a diff bolt kit u get which replaces the rivets and means the box wont go bang!!

apart from that, there is no other real weak points on them.

Is there any info on how to do this, or where to get the kit from? This has been niggling me for some time now, since you mentioned it to me like 4 months ago  :smiley:  AFAIK I'm running on the standard gearbox @140k miles (no receipts to prove otherwise)...
MK2 Golf GTi 16v

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2007, 17:42 »
fella Harry near Larne overhauled my box. the diff went it mine but it didnt crack the casing

i paid £250 for box to be overhauled with the diff bolt kit being fitted. just a case of taking the box to him.

piece of mind knowing it wont go bang no matter how hard i push it now!!

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2007, 20:49 »
K guys thx alot for the advise

Offline +49

• Here all the time
Re: What To look out for on the 16vers? UPDATE VIEWING!
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2007, 12:44 »
Im about to go and view a mk2 16v 3dr H reg  thats a fair way away

Its completely orignal besides the alloys ,

162k With some service history in orignal book upto 1995 but thats it , all old mots , loadsa old road tax discs, last 12 months had clutch,rear center zosrt and front brakes,car runs fine and drives good (so i am told) but has flat paint down one side and rust on rear tailgate and on drivers door (the door is quite bad) but its black and a 3 door (wat i am looking for) it has a months MOT and no road tax and 11 previous owners...

Wat kinda price should i be lookin for pay for somthing like this? guys? some quick advise would be good as i am looking to go and see it today before it gets dark and its good 2 hours away

thx

Offline rwalker

• GTI forum regular
  • '88 mk2 16v GTi (Sold) : '93 Corrado VR6
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2007, 16:27 »
Without seeing it or knowing much about it i would say between £500 - £1k.  How did the viewing go?

- Ross

Life must be lived forwards but can only be understood backwards.
profile on corrado database

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2007, 10:09 »
I purchased the car :D

Its quite a few problems that i will need some help with on here, but its actually got FSH in the orignal book with all the orignals booklets and wallets EVERY MOT every road tax and the interior is mint

But the rust is worse than pressumed ( i hope i can get a m8 to do this as he done his own car to a very good standard so cost should be zero odd,

Theres a sligth fueling problem with the car it can't seem to rev over 4.5k and stutters and spalters and will only rev higher if i press the thottle half way (i know this is a fueiling air blockage ) theres no smoke at all from the engine but it deffo needs a service

So looks like i got my work cut our for me :D