Poll

Is the mk3 gti 8v slow?

YES
35 (58.3%)
NO
25 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Is the mk3 gti 8v slow?  (Read 31800 times)

Omar

Re:Is the mk3 gti 8v slow?
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2004, 13:58 »
dont take it seriously '8vGti', Mr VR6 is just winding up 'Black_Gti' as most are.

I dont think anyone here really gives a toss more than 'Black_Gti' about being the fastest kid on the block.

..........most of us dont worry about wether Kevin or Garry are 0.3 secs faster around the Burger King Car park in a Saxo or Nova.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #21 on: 15 March 2004, 14:07 »
its not us slagging off your slow car. we dont need to everyone knows there slow and not real gti's. its just you need to stop bigging it up and telling us everytime you overtake a car. its f**king boring mate. have you noticed anyone with quick golfs boasting about how quick they are??

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2004, 14:12 »
by the way i pissed all over a corsa today ;D ;D

Offline Jel

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 15 March 2004, 14:51 »
Hi guys

I think im gonna have to the agree with the majority of the views regrading the 8v. ive got a mint 96 8v with 70k on the clock and hav had it for bt 8 months now and am slightly disapointed at its speed. I previously had a MK 1.6 driver which was slow so I expected a lot more umph from a 2litre. All im getting is a normal 2litre car which gives me 28mpg without me puttin my foot down.

I jus wanna sell it a get an oil burner which im told is a lot faster and more economical.

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 15 March 2004, 15:04 »
its not us slagging off your slow car. we dont need to everyone knows there slow and not real gti's. its just you need to stop bigging it up and telling us everytime you overtake a car. its f**king boring mate. have you noticed anyone with quick golfs boasting about how quick they are??

hit the nail on the head. people retaliate because all kid does is brag about how fast it is. plus the attitude problem doesnt help. shouting and typing in caps doesnt make you hard.

the main reason i bought my car is because i had some situations in my old car that could have been avoided in a more powerful car. driving at motorway speeds wasnt a nice experience in some circumstances. (thingys who block you want to exit or in dodgy weather conditions)

i could care less about 0-60 speeds. for me, the performance really matters and is an advantage is when you're out on the open road or motorway.

i dont normally drive to race like some people.. but since these posts here i've tried to see what an 8v is like.. fact is over 50 they cant keep up with me, and i've seen the bewildered expression on their faces. a similar thing happens with a vr6, i can just about keep up until about 80. i'd guess-timate that the 3 models are probably evenly spaced out performance wise.
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #25 on: 15 March 2004, 15:06 »
i agree. it is amusing to wind black_gti up tho  ;)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 15 March 2004, 15:08 »
depends really. i'm a pretty fair and straight down the line person, if he has a point he has a point, if he's talking arse then he's talkin arse.. :)

Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Golfer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 15 March 2004, 15:20 »
F*ck me, people take things abit seriously sometimes on this forum!!

Here's my take...

The motoring press have p*ssed on the Mk3 (execpt the VR6) / Mk4 in every single petrol guise.  Face facts - if you want a really good handling NEW hot hatch you wouldn't buy a Golk Mk4 - an RS Focus or even a 306 XSi would be better.   We (me included) love GTis, but it's more about image than anything else.   VW haven't built a truly good hot hatch since the 1980s - every other marque has been pi55ing on them - but they've survived because of their fantastic quality and image / branding.  Get over it guys, our cars are not the best handling / fastest on the block - at least not in 'stock' form.  We all know that - but we just love the feel of them.  That's what it's all about.

If you want a great handling fast car - get a 306 2.0 - I've got one (well, the wife has any road).  Handles great, quick etc etc, but I don't like it as much as my car.   No image / qualtiy ya see.

Chill out guys and be a bit more objective!
1998 Mk3 GTi 8v - now sold :(

2003 BMW 320d 150bhp now bought :)
2002 Seat Leon (almost a Mk4!)

Offline N-Wales_vr6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 15 March 2004, 16:40 »
Well said Golfer!!

Each to their own and all that,but i used to have an 8v Mk2 then an 8v Mk3 and it was slooooooow in comparison. But it was well built and reasonably well equiped after the Mk2 so you can't have it all.......

Until you get a Vr!!!

Black_GTI , chill out, enjoy what you've got and if not get rid! ;)

Offline Cupra Turbo

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 15 March 2004, 17:36 »
i agree. it is amusing to wind black_gti up tho  

f**k off.

Black_GTI , chill out, enjoy what you've got and if not get rid!

hmm when all people do is boast about how big their thingy's are by slagging the mk3/mk4 off and saying their mk2's are better.

When there not. cos their dated.  The mk1 is a classic car. The mk2 is a hatchback... nothing more.

Makes no difference if i chat about overtaking a Corsa/Jaguar/Porsche or whatever ... its called "chatting".

U know ... where ya lips move and words spill out.

Problem we have here is simple

mk1 owners - Own the classic ORIGNAL GTI ... nuff said
mk2 owners - THINK they own a classic GTI ... and its all nostalgia clouding their vision and they own a normal hatchback. (well ... not everyones. Blue_mk2 and a couple of others are an exception)
mk3 owners - sick of the mk3 getting slated
mk4 owners - own the best golf but the mk2 owners still slate it
mk5 owners - None as of yet...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Modified Golf GTI, 130Bhp(est), All Smoked Plus Quad Headl