Author Topic: smashed my golf up :( SCREWED OVER BY ELEPHANT INSURANCE!!!!  (Read 20197 times)

Offline louis_23

• Here all the time
so gutted on my way to work yesterday and a car in front slamed its anchers on for some reason, i left a gap between us but when i braked because of rain the gap i left was obviously not big enough so i went into the back of the other driver. luckly there wasn't any damage to there car just a crack in the num plate and scratch on there bumper how ever different story for my car bust head light smshed grill and bonney crumpled up couldn't beleave the damage as i didnt hit them hard iver. i have admitted to them it was totally my fault gave them my details etc but i haven't a clue what to do now as i have never had an accident threw fault of my own before. so what happens now? i have asked  if they would be ok with sending me a bill for repaires and do it that way, so i dont loose my no claimes, but i have heard no reply yet. just as i saved a few quid to get my car lowered this happens :( :( :(
« Last Edit: 21 October 2009, 15:33 by Shady Pioneer »

Offline mumbles

• I live here
Re: smashed my golf up :(
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2009, 10:40 »
really sorry to hear it mate.... know you've been doing lots to your car recently...

I'm not sure as to what you should do, i'm sure someone will though... hope you can get it sorted.

mumbles
Wouldn't be fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?

Audi A4 Sport

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2009, 10:45 »
bad luck fella, all i can suggest is save your cash! as if they claim against you your insurance will sky rocket and also watch for whipash claims!

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2009, 10:49 »
Sorry to hear man, rain is a bugger, should always leave at least 6 cars length between you and the car in front (that's my theory anyway). Hopefully they won't claim off your insurance but in this day and age people are wayne kerrs.

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2009, 11:14 »
Lets hope they don't claim off your insurance. Your insurance company will not be happy to hear you have admitted liability. Even though you went into the back of them and it is a stone waller insurance companies tell you to NEVER admit liability.  Good luck though man and hope to see your motor back up and running soon.     Cheers     Deano

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2009, 11:17 »
Lets hope they don't claim off your insurance. Your insurance company will not be happy to hear you have admitted liability. Even though you went into the back of them and it is a stone waller insurance companies tell you to NEVER admit liability.  Good luck though man and hope to see your motor back up and running soon.     Cheers     Deano

+1 admitting liability was not a good move, hope you get it sorted.

Offline Vesper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2009, 11:24 »
Either way mate the other people are going to claim against you. Personally I would claim on my insurance - it's going to go up either way and I think you will be more out of pocket doing the repairs yourself. Bizarrely; adding my partner to my insurance, who has been in 3 accidents, one his fault (braked on ice and rear ended another car) hasn't affected it at all. I think if you are over 25 it won't affect it drastically - you may pay more for the next few years but it should come back down.

If your car is driveable then get it to a bodyshop for a quote. At least you will have the repair cost and will be able to weigh it up against:

-doing the repairs yourself
-letting the insurers write it off, pay out the write off value then buying it back off  them for a small sum (you may be able to get the repairs done with the difference).
- letting the insurers repair it. If you go with this one fight to get them to let a bodyshop of your choice. Most of the "approved repair centres" paint jobs are about as smooth and pleasing on the eye as Peter Stringfellow.

Good luck!

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2009, 12:45 »
Talking from experience i wouldnt claim for your own car.

As from what you have said, IF you want to keep the car, it doesnt seem like a right off at all.

And IF it only done that damage to the other persons car, just pay for that to be fixed, and fix your golf.

Bumper, grille, bonnet needed, Maybe the lock to hold the bonnet down. Sounds like a perfect chance for a vento front.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2009, 12:58 »
Just have to wait and see if they do claim against you!

If they do then your insurance company will try and write off your car!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Jigg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2009, 13:01 »
Well m8 I just hope u got the mods declared because wen I wrote my pug off they didn't pay because of my alloys and if I was u try ur hardest just to take the hit rarther then go through insurance it will always work out better and u should of got contact details off them and alsohow many people were there and if they r shouting whiplash just try and pay em off ur self sorry to hear about this m hope u get it sorted good luck