Author Topic: golf mk3 1.4 air box question..............  (Read 18914 times)

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
Re: golf mk3 1.4 air box question..............
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2009, 22:03 »
the throttle body should work fine.  ive used an 1800 butterfly assembly with a 1300 injector plate on a 1 litre polo and for what it was it flew.  also done a 1300 polo with golf 1800 butterfly assy fitted with a 1400 golf injector and that also went well.  granted you might need to experiment a bit, but when you can pick the bits up for peanuts, why not!
if nothing else it makes for an entertaining weekend!

El_Presidente

« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2009, 22:46 »
it sounds like a good idea, although i dont have in depth mechanical knowladge, i can do basics, servicing, fitting the odd bit, clutch cables, replaced the odd icv on my old calibra's body panels etc but have never really attempted anything much with throttle bodies apart from cleaning them. would this be a no no for a learner? i can follow guides etc easily

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2009, 11:42 »
Dont expect a 1.8 throttle body to make a 1.4 fly...  as long as it has 1.4 pistons its not going to make much diffrence,  i think VW probably did think through what throttle body is best for the engine when they made it, and knowing vw, if the 1.8 tb worked... they would have used that to save on parts.  Seems they did that with most other things.   :smiley:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

adamrob69

« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2009, 12:07 »
its a 1.4!! the only thing thats going to make it faster is if you scrap it and put in something bigger!

no way is it worth messing about with it, as to get it any quicker you will spend as much as it costs to get a bigger engine!

El_Presidente

« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2009, 13:27 »
lol im not expecting huge power increase, just to make it more responsive and maybe a little more power, however the benefit of modding a 1.4 appeals to me as my previous 2ltr was £1500 a year tpft and this 1.4 is only £700 a year fully comp due to living in a bad postcode area, so spending £200 or £300 on a few bits from a scrappy and the fun of messing with an engine is perfectly acceptable to me offset against the rediculous cost of insurance these days

adamrob69

« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2009, 14:16 »
I know what you mean, i was in exactly the same boat last year. I had a 1.4 and had to resign my self to making it look better rather then be quicker. The money i saved went on my GTI which i got this summer.

Just spend wisely, there not capable of going much quicker at all

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2009, 14:55 »
Dont expect a 1.8 throttle body to make a 1.4 fly...  as long as it has 1.4 pistons its not going to make much diffrence,  i think VW probably did think through what throttle body is best for the engine when they made it, and knowing vw, if the 1.8 tb worked... they would have used that to save on parts.  Seems they did that with most other things.   :smiley:

thats not always the case. other factors can decide what parts on an engine are used.  It wouldn't make sense for vw to make a 1.4 which had nearly the same performance as the 1.6 model.  Im not saying it gonna make it fast or anything like that, but it doesnt mean that there isnt room for improvement.  The ABD can be easilly tuned to put out around 120 bhp btw
Either way, anything mk3 that doesnt have a vr6 or an engine transplant such as a 1.8t is gonna nothing more than nippy no matter what.

El_Presidente

« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2009, 19:10 »

The ABD can be easilly tuned to put out around 120 bhp btw

i would be intrested to know what would need doing to it to produce these figures? is it something you have done yourself or just hearsay? as the response i have had on my other thread on what can be done to tune a 1.4 abd has recieved a solid " nothing " lol

gtigolfthree

« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2009, 20:24 »
Of course a fully race tuned 1.4 can put out 120bhp but will cost a fortune, why waste your money when a bog standard 8 valve gti can match that with extra torque and better brakes etc, and will your race tuned 1.4 be cheaper on insurance not sure.  :undecided:

adamrob69

« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2009, 00:35 »
to get that figure you have to first rebuild the engine (new fuel injection system, uprate all the internals, pistions etc make it stronger)

then you would have to upgrade the car, better brakes etc

and i would say 120 was very optimistic from that engine