Author Topic: Manual to DSG  (Read 13624 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: Manual to DSG
« Reply #70 on: 08 August 2009, 10:06 »
Really surprised that it wasn't standard on mkV gti dsgs

EH ?

All MKV GTIs that had the DSG option came with flappy paddels . . . .

Offline Max Q

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #71 on: 08 August 2009, 10:53 »

EH ?

I think on some of the very early one's it was an option, but soon became standard.
Mk7.5 R DSG Indium Grey 5Dr

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 08 August 2009, 18:04 »

Does your dad's GT have the flappy paddles? Personally I think that makes a big difference to the level of interaction one would get from the dsg manual mode.

No, it doesn't...and it is something that's giving me cause for concern.

Although, if using it in Auto works out OK and I get used to it and like it, having the paddles will be a huge plus.
If I hate it after a few months, I doubt the paddles will make that much difference to that thought....so I'm doubtful they'd make me change my mind.

I'd prefer it to have paddles for sure...but the basic functionailty will be the same...so at least I can verify I'm happy with it pulling away, auto changing, reversing, etc

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Jkctr

« Reply #73 on: 08 August 2009, 18:07 »
Its completely different without paddles! DSG would be awful without it as it would remove the manual interaction!
You might as well have a standard auto  :sick:

I highly advise you to go test drive a proper DSG in a proper car (a GT is not a good car to help you base your decision) Wack the stick into manual and hammer it round some bendy roads using the paddles to shift  :evil:

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #74 on: 08 August 2009, 18:23 »

EH ?

When I was looking at 2nd hand MkVs, gtis and r32s, not all DSG cars had the flappy paddles.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Jkctr

« Reply #75 on: 08 August 2009, 18:35 »
Early ones didnt have paddles as standard  :wink:

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #76 on: 08 August 2009, 18:47 »
Its completely different without paddles! DSG would be awful without it as it would remove the manual interaction!
You might as well have a standard auto  :sick:

I highly advise you to go test drive a proper DSG in a proper car (a GT is not a good car to help you base your decision) Wack the stick into manual and hammer it round some bendy roads using the paddles to shift  :evil:

Got a mate just got a Mk5 GTI DSG with paddles....so hoping to have a try of that soon.
I'm sure the paddles will be great...

But, as an everyday car, it'll stay in Auto most of the time...so what it does the rest of the time is as important.

My current thinking is, I would be happy with DSG with paddles...and not so happy with it with no paddles.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 08 August 2009, 19:20 »
I'm going to have to beg an instruction drive if my dealer doesn't offer one. When I had my test drive the car was a DSG, and that was what put the idea in my mind.  But the idea didn't crystallise until a bit later, so I didn't ask anything at all about the DSG during the test drive, or enquire what it could do.

I remember I accidentally pushed the stick to the left while we were stationary, and the salesman said, no, you just put it in manual.  Huh?  I didn't know automatics could go into manual.  No more was said about it, and I didn't notice paddles or anything like that.

So I think I'm going to need a lesson.

Rolfe.