Author Topic: Just got back from Mk5 launch at local dealership....  (Read 3360 times)

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
......and its a much nicer car in the flesh than the photo's we've all seen actually suggest.

The model at my local dealership was the 2 litre TDi, which has the 140ps/236lb ft engine (the Euro IV compliant one, same as fitted the quick Audi A3 diesel).

It was a diamond black 5 door model.

Fit and finish is incredible, the paint finish is just beautiful, it is certainly a well screwed together piece of kit.

The swage line running down the side of the car defines the profile better than in the Mk4, it looks a lot less flabby around the arse-end.

But.......

....the magazines have all reported a dip in the level of interior materials quality, and comparing my Mk4 to the new model, you can see where small corners have been cut - look inside the boot, for example, and the cheeks of the boot are no longer squared off nicely, its just carpeted over the wheelarches. Inside the cabin, the seat rails are no longer hidden. Its all those little quality touches, that you only notice once they're no longer there, have disappeared.

The biggest let down for me was wha they've done with the speaker positions up front. The tweeter has moved from the wing mirror housings into the main door panel (no great problem there) but the main mid-range driver has been moved from the front to the back of the door panel, which means its driving straight into the side of the seat - not what you'd call ideal!

Going back for test drive next weekend, so I'll report on that when I've auditioned it.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2004, 21:30 by S11EPS »

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Cupra Turbo

• I live here
Re:Just got back from Mk5 launch at local dealership....
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2004, 22:59 »
The biggest let down for me was wha they've done with the speaker positions up front. The tweeter has moved from the wing mirror housings into the main door panel (no great problem there) but the main mid-range driver has been moved from the front to the back of the door panel, which means its driving straight into the side of the seat - not what you'd call ideal!

The tweaters up front are in the same place as the R32.

The speakers hitting the seats... same happens in the back of the Mk3... dead annoying!!!  agree with u on this one!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Modified Golf GTI, 130Bhp(est), All Smoked Plus Quad Headl

Offline Gt-tdi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2004, 20:17 »
Many years of professionalism, experience and quality is involved in the design  and construction of a modern Volkswagen. Thousands are spent on computer generated designs of the vehicle with precision welding....THEN THE MUPPETS PUT SPEAKERS IN FRONT OF THE SEAT!!! WELL DONE!
TDI = economy and FAST!!

Offline Gt-tdi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2004, 20:17 »
and yes, i would have thought they would have learned after doing it in the mk3
TDI = economy and FAST!!

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2004, 21:16 »
I'm sure by the time I get round to changing (next July) someone will have come up with a solution, but it does seem like a step backward after the really good stereo (including the positions of speakers) of the Mk4.  ???

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel