Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 29038 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #110 on: 26 January 2019, 13:31 »
Just seen that Vw are running a Golf event with an extra £500 towards your deposit contribution until 17th February. Too good to be true?
Discounts have dropped though, quite significantly. They are now c5-9%, where as before Xmas they were 15%+.

I have an offer in writing on the R and gti waiting with those discounts of 16%. Would they add another £500???
Your written discount will have a time limit to it, and can also be pulled at any point by the dealer/VWFS, so I wouldn't bank on that lasting for ever.

I notice in the small print of the Feb Golf offer that the £500 will either be taken off the cash price of the car, or added to deposit contribution, so again, a way for them to wriggle out of it.

No harm in asking though, if you don't ask you don't get.

EDITED to add - I've just logged into my Carwow, and on my build it now says that "Please note these offers will expire on 31st January 2019." So given the new "extra £500" Golf offer starts on the 1st of Feb, I would guess that all the previous discount/offers will be pulled to adjust for the new offer.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2019, 13:41 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #111 on: 26 January 2019, 13:51 »
Just seen that Vw are running a Golf event with an extra £500 towards your deposit contribution until 17th February. Too good to be true?
Discounts have dropped though, quite significantly. They are now c5-9%, where as before Xmas they were 15%+.

They’ve agreed to hold my initial discount until at least February.

I have an offer in writing on the R and gti waiting with those discounts of 16%. Would they add another £500???
Your written discount will have a time limit to it, and can also be pulled at any point by the dealer/VWFS, so I wouldn't bank on that lasting for ever.

I notice in the small print of the Feb Golf offer that the £500 will either be taken off the cash price of the car, or added to deposit contribution, so again, a way for them to wriggle out of it.

No harm in asking though, if you don't ask you don't get.

EDITED to add - I've just logged into my Carwow, and on my build it now says that "Please note these offers will expire on 31st January 2019." So given the new "extra £500" Golf offer starts on the 1st of Feb, I would guess that all the previous discount/offers will be pulled to adjust for the new offer.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #112 on: 03 February 2019, 18:13 »
Such a hard decision choosing between the two. I hope to test drive both in the next month and then pick up a 2017 FL GTI or R DSG.
I only do about 4000 miles a year. My work commute is less than 10 miles a day covering to and from, mostly stuck in traffic. I can't help thinking an R would be overkill. I also prefer the looks of the GTI over the R inside and out. Then again, the traction and driving ease of the R also appeals.

Used R's seem to be about £4K more than an equivalent GTI of similar age, mileage and options. Guessing that's because new R's still aren't available.

I'm really hoping the test drives will make the decision easier.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #113 on: 03 February 2019, 18:37 »
They’re just such different cars tbh. Drive both and then be as confused as me! Then somebody mentions the tcr.....

I had another go in a gti on Saturday but their R wasn’t there, bit of a dealer mix up. I’ll be ordering on Saturday either way now. As posted in another topic the discount I’m being offered is just too good to turn down really. £6.4k on both the R and gti. Crazy.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #114 on: 03 February 2019, 19:13 »
They’re just such different cars tbh. Drive both and then be as confused as me! Then somebody mentions the tcr.....

I had another go in a gti on Saturday but their R wasn’t there, bit of a dealer mix up. I’ll be ordering on Saturday either way now. As posted in another topic the discount I’m being offered is just too good to turn down really. £6.4k on both the R and gti. Crazy.

That's a really good deal. Used prices are crazy at the moment.
Let us know what you pick and the reasons please.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #115 on: 03 February 2019, 19:15 »

You sure you want to hear my inane ramblings?? Once I start, that’s it.  :grin:

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #116 on: 03 February 2019, 19:25 »

You sure you want to hear my inane ramblings?? Once I start, that’s it.  :grin:

Hell yes  :laugh:  I've never spent more than £5K on a car before and never had one newer than about 5 years old. I'm heading for 50 next year so figured it's about time I got something decent. My first car was a used Golf GTI so full circle for me. I'm used to buying cars outright and keeping them for about 10 years or until they stop working. Lots for me to consider like what to get and how to (part) finance.
All advice appreciated.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #117 on: 03 February 2019, 19:34 »
Ha ha! I’ll certainly let you know how I get on. It’s a big decision and it needs to be the right one. Either way, both cars are fantastic. The gti I drove on Saturday didn’t have dcc, was on 19s and the ride was incredibly good. Better than my S3 on 18s.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #118 on: 03 February 2019, 22:48 »
The gti I drove on Saturday didn’t have dcc, was on 19s and the ride was incredibly good. Better than my S3 on 18s.

This pleases me greatly  :grin:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #119 on: 04 February 2019, 06:04 »
The gti I drove on Saturday didn’t have dcc, was on 19s and the ride was incredibly good. Better than my S3 on 18s.

This pleases me greatly  :grin:

I did actually write it with you in mind.  :grin: and it’s true!