Author Topic: Rear Disc Conversion - 19/01/2011  (Read 46885 times)

Offline dubburke

• Not said much yet
Re: drum brake conversion
« Reply #40 on: 25 September 2005, 10:45 »
Just to add my bit :grin:
I dont think the discs at the rear are needed, even with big power :wink:
New dot 4 fluid as this gets neglected, and without it being in tip top condition brakes will fade :embarassed:
Just concentrate on the brake linkage, and get that spot on, braided hoses, 16v servo and m/c, a good quality pad and grooved discs, maybe grooved drums just for good measure and make sure the drums are adjusted properly

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #41 on: 28 September 2005, 14:20 »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline G60GTI16V

• I live here
  • GTI Mk1, 2, 3, 4 now VRS Hell Yea!
« Reply #42 on: 22 July 2007, 22:22 »
If you do this conversion, do you think you have to use a bias valve to adjust the pressure to the rears? I think you will have to, am i right?
Anyways i think its stupid because the golf had alot (i mean alot) of research & design before they actually made sale of the cars and everything that came on the car once bought from the showroom is its recomendations and shouldnt be altered.
Dan

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #43 on: 03 August 2007, 01:12 »
If you do this conversion, do you think you have to use a bias valve to adjust the pressure to the rears? I think you will have to, am i right?
Anyways i think its stupid because the golf had alot (i mean alot) of research & design before they actually made sale of the cars and everything that came on the car once bought from the showroom is its recomendations and shouldnt be altered.
Dan

yes you are right... if you want to understand all the requirements and how to do it, the guys to ask are C&R Enterprises, they have done this conversions hundreds of times...
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline MK1 Ali!!

• Not said much yet
Re:drum brake conversion
« Reply #44 on: 29 December 2009, 17:52 »
Not sure if this is what you mean but, On the Mk1 there's a Brake pressure regulator located just in front of the rear axel (drivers side).  Its connected to the axel via a spring.  Its meant to adjust the brake pressure at the rear according to how much the car is laiden.  I'm not sure how serious, but I believe the rear brakes on the car can be a bit over powering if the car is slammed because the reg thinks the cars got a tonne of bricks in the back due to the height (or lack of it).  I'm sure this regulator can still be used and will still work with a rear disc conv since its only part of the brake lines.   :)

the gti compensator is suitable as it is shared with mk2 and scirocco, 84+ cabs are scirocco floor pan so it shares alot with the rocco!!

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
« Reply #45 on: 16 February 2010, 20:46 »
Hi

I will be doing this soon, and have seen the how 2 thread, anyone want a newer version/photos when I do it?

Cheers

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...