Author Topic: 19463 Cam Sensor Circuit - Value outside Limits  (Read 4326 times)

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
19463 Cam Sensor Circuit - Value outside Limits I presume is the same as "camshaft position sensor g40 no signal" ?

Drove the missus MK4 TDI tonight and she gave the keys with little fuel in it. She had done 30miles already after the warning light had come on and I put a full tank of diesel in just before it failed. It ran rough coming off the slip road, especially around 1900/2000. Went for 2nd as I changed down approaching the lights and it died. Went to turn it over again and starter could be heard, battery was fine but nothing. RAC code was given as the first one and he said it's likely to be just the sensor. We didn't look to see if the Cambelt was intact. He do get it crank with direct fuel sprayed in. But on just key turn over it failed still.

Cars done 149,000 2 cambelt changes that I know of, and still on original gloplugs. Concern is that if I take the cover off I'll see a shredded belt and therefore a dead engine. Thoughts?

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: 19463 Cam Sensor Circuit - Value outside Limits
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2017, 08:39 »
So if fuels sprayed into the inlet itll run? Cambelt must be intact for that to work.
Id start with the crank sensor. Ive had one start to fail and it use to cut out and sometimes not start. When they fail completely its a no start situation.
I cant think where or if the mk4 tdi has a cam sensor. Only the pump on the back of the cam if its a pd.
If its earlier than a pd then its a possibility that maybe the injection timing has jumped, youd have to have the covers of to know that and line all the timing marks up

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2017, 12:20 »
Ive used haas passats got a crank sensor made by them in it. Hella ive not used for years. I thought they only made lights.

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2017, 18:07 »
Grabbed one and fitted today.  Pain in the arse as i dropped the 10mm retaining bolt  :grin:

Biggest issue is the fact it still isnt turning over.  I understood from what I've read that it wouldnt need the timing reset, and the belt is 100% intact. I've disconnected the battery in the vain hope that it clears any fault codes? Would the fault code for the cam sensor remain in the memory and need to be cleared before it would full start the engine again?  There were no other codes showing...

Does the crank sensor also need to be done at the same time???  It appears to be trying to start, but just doesnt catch. 

Ideas??

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2017, 19:51 »
It ahould store the code as stored but not failed anymore. Theres a proper term but i cant think. Haha.
Crank sensor shouldnt have to be done. By trying to catch what do you mean?
Spluttering?
Ide try alittle easystart to see if you can get it to run. And then it might run ok. I say this as maybe the fuel has ran back with it being sat. Another problem that you might not have known as id assume its used everyday

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2017, 20:40 »
Cheers Lem,

I'll give that a go tomorrow.  By catching I meant that the starter can be heard and it appears to be cranking but not firing if that makes sense.  The RAC fella dumped some Easystart in and it did start but then died as I presume the sensor put out the no input error code.  Is it worth messing with the fuel filter?  I'm thinking that the crud from the bottom of the tank was dragged up when she gave me the keys :whistle:

Gotta say its good to see people still on here too, as no-one on Facebook has a clue...or maybe they arent interested :lipsrsealed: :laugh:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2017, 20:55 »
They have a clear pipe to the pump dont they to see if there fuel there.
It sounds to me as the problem still persists and possible might have been the crank sensor. Need to scan it really. Too far away for me to just pop anf help either.

Facebook is well facebook haha