Author Topic: I need 25 bhp extra (ABF)  (Read 5507 times)

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: I need 25 bhp extra (ABF)
« Reply #30 on: 16 August 2011, 22:27 »
i think the easyest cheepest poinies the ABF gives up are from portwork and reprofiled cams.

i got some intresting numbers when running a modifyyed inlet manifold.   gained a few bhp over the std one with a log manifold.   4ltr plenum runners only about 250 mm from valve center to trumpet throat iirc
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 17 August 2011, 19:54 »
i think the easyest cheepest poinies the ABF gives up are from portwork and reprofiled cams.

Agreed. But within the limitations of the standard ECU, you aren't going to see any more than 25 BHP when combined with lots of other work, if it's still to run properly - unless a standalone ECU is fitted.
And even if you go standalone, and run bigger cams than 260/260 or 268/std, the cams work against the CR so you are wasting your time and money.
To run 268/268 or more, you need high compression, more revs, a stronger bottom end etc.
The laws of diminishing returns kicks in.

I still maintain that a 25 BHP gain on a standard gearbox will not give the on-the-road-gain that re-working the gearbox will give...so I'd only do the head/cams AFTER the 'box has been sorted.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline blueandy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 18 August 2011, 21:05 »
thanks for the info, I noticed on your famous thread that a remap early doors on your setup gave a good strong 10-15hp?

Was that a bespoke map or a plug and play?