Author Topic: Window Problems.  (Read 1348 times)

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
Window Problems.
« on: 19 January 2011, 16:53 »
Right before any one goes ninja on my ass, ive read the mk3 maintenance + info and the eletric windows problems.

Anyway, on my switch. The passenger window goes down , but i can't make it go up, i have to lean over to other side and push the passenger switch to make it go up.

The drivers side switch, doesn't do nothing at all for my window.. It use to click but nothing at all now!

I removed the drivers rear window switch, and plugged it in front, thinking it would work on my drivers side. I was wrong, it sent the passenger window down, but yet again it wouldn't go up!

So, is this the switch at fault, the wiring or the motors?
« Last Edit: 19 January 2011, 16:57 by *Jonnyg* »
** Tuned diesels - kinda like a guy with a huge cock and premature ejaculation. **

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Window Problems.
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2011, 17:09 »
passenger window is either broken clip on the part that moves up and down the chanel, driver side could be the wiring or regulator. does the switch light up? follow wiring from it to the relay, then also thru the door and finally into the drivers motor. try jumping motor with 12v direct, if it moves you know its the wiring
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Christo77

« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2011, 17:10 »
I've not experienced any issues with the switches or the actual motors myself, the motors and switches can fail but not often, it's mostly the regulators that go south.
In your case though check the rubber boot between door and pillar, often wires come a cropa in there.
It could be a relay.. other than that does the action sound normal when they do work !  mine started doing funny things but as said it was the regulator mechanisms that were failing.

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2011, 17:47 »
What clip on passenger window sorry?

I'll have a look at the relay tomorrow.

Does it matter if its a 3 or 5 door the reglators come out of?
** Tuned diesels - kinda like a guy with a huge cock and premature ejaculation. **

Christo77

« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2011, 18:19 »
The window is held to the mechanism by a lug on the cable that is held in situ by a plastic component, the plastic part wears and breaks allowing the regulator to move up an down the channel with no control, sometimes it might catch and work the next time it wont..mostly it's caput! It's a common thing as you'll have seen from the many posts...!

You'd be best to remove the door card and have a look at least..if it's the case then you'll find small bits of plastic in the bottom of the door.
Other than that investigate anyway, you'll be eliminating the regulator if it's not at fault.

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2011, 18:22 »
I dont understand how its related to the passenger window, as that goes up and down fine, using the passenger window switch.... It only goes down on drivers side switches, not up! And my window does nothing at all!

Christo77

« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2011, 18:27 »
Well then if you don't either suspect the regulator or switches you got to investigate the wiring/relay as mentioned..

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2011, 19:09 »
ill report back tomorrow :)

Christo77

« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2011, 19:13 »
Yep, with these things you gotta just get stuck in rather than try and guess exactly what's wrong..

Offline ant_gti

• GTI forum regular
  • mk3 20v turbo
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2011, 19:16 »
surely if the window works off the passenger side switch all the time but not off the drivers side then i would be thinking about changing the drivers side switch