Author Topic: mk3 on ebay! is this legit u reckon?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
  • The golf is dead :(
mk3 on ebay! is this legit u reckon?
« on: 14 February 2010, 17:55 »
hey guys i just saw this on ebay .... well within my price range

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-GTI-16V-GREEN_W0QQitemZ130367144548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item1e5a7cc264#ht_500wt_975

however, theres no description, 7 previous owners? what ya reckon?

someone forgot to write the stuff/ dumbass/ or dodgy??

help?!?

dan
Staceman ' i struggle not to w**k over that jetta sometimes '

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v 96 Storm Grey - Dead

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
Re: mk3 on ebay! is this legit u reckon?
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2010, 18:02 »
I probably would not go there.  like you say there is no description about the car, or nothing about it's history.  7 owners?!?!

I just had a look on Autotrader.co.uk, there are plenty on there with good descriptions, and all within your price band.

have a look.

Offline Larrychips

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2010, 18:03 »
No way I would put any money down until you see proof of HPI, MoT & Tax...   Infact, I wouldn't buy a car without seeing in the flesh before hand...listened to the engine & gearbox, felt the clutch and had a good nose around.   £1000 is a good price if it is genuine though....  
1997 Black Mk3 Golf 2.0 8v GTi
Full exhaust system/remapped/Air-Filter...mmm...and thats it for now...  PS- Must change this picture! Its too big and due to a speed bump under my rear right wheel, the front right looks like its in the air  ><

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2010, 18:04 »
sweet as mate, i've been well informed, there are some sound chaps (and ladies) on here

if anyone sees a decent 16 valver, under 100,000 miles and around the £1200 mark (less wud be best) please let me know

cheers all

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2010, 18:05 »
That car also isnt on the insurance database so isnt being used.. maybe a reason.
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline jpgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2010, 18:09 »
I have bought four cars off ebay and all have been great, however i would say this

1) I would advise you to only go for a car with a good quality description

2) Ensure the seller has good feedback

3) Get in contact with the seller and talk to them in person

4) If possible go and see the car and give it a check (having said this i have bought three without looking lol)

5) Never hand over money until you are certian about the car

I would stay clear until the description is updated, and i would definately go and see it and check paperwork etc..

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2010, 18:15 »
That car also isnt on the insurance database so isnt being used.. maybe a reason.

how did u check that mate?? ive had a look on the dvla website and checked that the tax is valid!

yeh jpgti, thats a good shout yeh, im fairly close to bristol, and actually have a mate there atm, so i may pop down and check it, ill be annoyed if i go there tho and it gets bought during that time lol

hpi checks, do you all do them?? ive never bought a car off ebay before, so cheers for the pointers

so obvious checks

1) see what work it's had done like servive history wise
2) MOT cert
3) Tax paperwork

anything else you can reccommend apart from taking it 4 a spin, having a good nose around for rust etc and under the bonnet?

Offline jpgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2010, 18:22 »
On the MOT certificate check to see if there are any advisorys, and if there are check what it says needs doing. Ensure the car has a V5 form and i think you can type the numberplate in online to see what records the DVLA have of the car.

Service history wise i would check it has a new belt as its done 80k or be prepared to buy a new one, it would be nice to see some service history aswel. Have a look for rust on the sills. Check the condition of the tyres, 4 decent ones will set you back a fair wack. Have a look under the bonnet and look for anything dodgy, check the oil level.

Also see how much tax/mot the car has left.   

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2010, 18:27 »

how did u check that mate?? ive had a look on the dvla website and checked that the tax is valid!

http://www.askmid.com/

Then click 'check askmid' on the right - top. Very useful.

I would'nt have thought u could go for a test drive very easily or cheaply if the car itself inst insured
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 18:29 by leigh_harty »
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline ian24driver

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2010, 18:46 »

Ive got one listed in the cars for sale section, 8v.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=144125.0