Author Topic: Which Wheel Cleaner to buy?  (Read 4937 times)

NewGolf

Re: Which Wheel Cleaner to buy?
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2008, 21:14 »
Good advise. Got some Bilberry and Wheel Brightener on its way  :wink:

Another question, after using Z2, Z6 and Z8 Zaino, is there any point putting a coat of Zym0l Carbon over the top, would it bond or is it a waste of time?

Looking into Zaino CS Spray next...  :wink:

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2008, 21:18 »
give it a test, but i doubt it will make much difference adding the zymol

NewGolf

« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2008, 18:22 »
Do you have a garage mate, if you do, I'd love to see your setup  :smiley:

Getting planning issues here building mine. Losing the will to live.  :sad:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2008, 22:55 »

I used to use wonder wheels on my Beemer - the alloy surface was rough and brake dust did cling on. 

The finish on my Golf alloys are much smoother and easier to clean with just soap and water.  I do use wheel wax (basic spray on turtle wax) the dirt comes off brilliantly every time.

considered banning you for mentioning this  :laugh:

the reason why your alloy surface was rough was because ww eats in and is very acidic... bin it if you still have it

NewGolf

« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2008, 08:57 »

I used to use wonder wheels on my Beemer - the alloy surface was rough and brake dust did cling on. 

The finish on my Golf alloys are much smoother and easier to clean with just soap and water.  I do use wheel wax (basic spray on turtle wax) the dirt comes off brilliantly every time.

considered banning you for mentioning this  :laugh:

the reason why your alloy surface was rough was because ww eats in and is very acidic... bin it if you still have it

Fully agree, thats nasty stuff.

Offline MrTurner

• I live here
  • Facelift leon cupra
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2008, 13:14 »
I used to use Wonder Wheels.  It's not so bad on the wheels short term, but it trashes any plastic covers, and also rusted my wheel nuts.  Long term, your wheels WILL suffer.

I have since learned the error of my ways and took a long time (i.e. a whole day!), taking each wheel off, making it cleaner than ever before, then applying a layer of polish (only AG SRP) and 3 layers of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

Now, I just rinse the wheels with water and a sponge, and get in the spokes with an old wash mit attached to wood.

Must point out this is on my Megane, the Golf has already been over Wonder Wheel'd, the wheels are corroded beyond repair!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2008, 18:18 »
I used to use Wonder Wheels.  It's not so bad on the wheels short term, but it trashes any plastic covers, and also rusted my wheel nuts.  Long term, your wheels WILL suffer.

I have since learned the error of my ways and took a long time (i.e. a whole day!), taking each wheel off, making it cleaner than ever before, then applying a layer of polish (only AG SRP) and 3 layers of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

Now, I just rinse the wheels with water and a sponge, and get in the spokes with an old wash mit attached to wood.

Must point out this is on my Megane, the Golf has already been over Wonder Wheel'd, the wheels are corroded beyond repair!

here endeth the lesson in why not to use wonder wheels!  :smiley:

Offline MrTurner

• I live here
  • Facelift leon cupra
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2008, 20:06 »

Not by me I might add  :grin: :grin:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 26 August 2008, 10:45 »

Not by me I might add  :grin: :grin:

you still use it?  :huh:

Offline MrTurner

• I live here
  • Facelift leon cupra
« Reply #19 on: 26 August 2008, 13:10 »

you still use it?  :huh:
No, no, no..  I used it on the inside of my wheels to get them clean before using wheel sealant.  That's it.  When I cleaned the golf on Sunday (only picked it up Friday), I don't think I even cleaned the wheels, that's how corroded they are, it seemed a pointless exercise  :grin: