Author Topic: Once the car is clean, how do you maintain it safely?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
I completely cleaned my car yesterday, from the two bucket method, to claying, to paint cleaner, polishing and waxing.

I think I did it all right as the car looks ace now, but how do I maintain it to keep it looking good now? So if the car gets dirty how would I go about cleaning it now?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Once the car is clean, how do you maintain it safely?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2008, 09:20 »
just wash using the two bucket method mate :afro:

then repeat the whole process when you feel it needs it - i.e when your paintwork starts feeling rough to touch.  thats what i do anyway, others might do differently

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2008, 09:23 »
Ahh ok, thanks man, just was afriad doing the car properly with the two buckets might take off the wax but no  :smug:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2008, 09:38 »
as long as you just use the shampoo you'll be fine - what wax did you use?? if you got a decent coating of it it sohuld protect your car upto 3 months  :smiley:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2008, 09:59 »
I used Megs Wax.

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=6&products_id=167

Not sure if I put it on thick enough though, so might be a month I have to do it again lol!

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2008, 10:25 »
Layering a wax is always a good idea, 2 coats with a 24hr cure time between coats is the trick. Washing the car - theres a few ways you can do it, two bucket wash with a non-abrasive soap (dedicated car shampoo basically), rinse down, and voila. As long as the water is beading off - you know your wax layer is fine. Dry the car down. Then if you want that 'just waxed' look, use some quick detailer and mist the panels sparingly and wipe off with a microfibre towel - this will give it a really nice glaze look, but only tends to last about 5 days.

Some people swear by washing and quick detailing, its a preference thing.

When it comes to claying - you only need do it when the paintwork begins to feel rough, as a guess, 6 months would be about right. Again, polishing becomes neccessary when the wax layer has been stripped off - to get that deep shine again.

Depending on the quality of your wax, it can last anywhere up to about 6 months, easiest way to tell is just check for beading after a wash. When it needs renewing - your best either claying the car - which will remove the wax/polish layers, or do a fairy liquid car wash - which will also remove all wax/polish. Then set about polish and waxing.

Mine has got a little dusty, so I'll just rinse with a hose, then give it a quick soap, then rinse and dry off.

BTW where are the before and after photo's of your epic car clean, you've got to show us what that £90 can do!

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2008, 10:29 »
Gonna get some done today, in a bit actually. Thanks for reminding me  :drool:

The before pics will be the one's of the car I've already got up seeing as I only ever washed it with normal car shampoo anyway, in fact, I'll get on and take pics now.  :cool:

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2008, 10:32 »
I wash mine weekly and polish/wax it monthly (and you need to with rusty mk3's!!) and in between i use quick detailer to make i shine again.... makes it look all  :cool: again
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2008, 11:01 »
Here we go guys:

Before

After nice cleany clean session

What does everyone think?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2008, 01:05 »
What does everyone think?

you missed a bit  :laugh: