Author Topic: Golfs - what do you like?  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Golfs - what do you like?
« on: 03 August 2018, 10:01 »
What do most love about your Golf? My GTI Performance is my 2nd Mk7.5 but prior to that never had a Golf!

Must say I love getting in it everyday, I like the subtleness of the GTI although would like a bit more noise (coming soon!). When I got my first one last year must say, I found a few things irritating such as the touch screen. But the driving experience makes up for that.

The badges and details are great though and I've had 2 people already in other Golfs chat to me at lights/petrol stations asking about mine. One guy pulled up in a Golf Alltrack and shouted across you have a beautiful car while you not smiling! Made me laugh  :grin:

Such a great everyday car!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Golfs - what do you like?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2018, 10:26 »
I've had far more attention in this car than any before, a few weeks back I was challenged to a race by a bloke in a smoky old Transit with a trailer! People really do seem to like a GTI!

As for me, I love how it feels to drive, the pedalbox has made such a difference, it picks up instantly without having to floor the throttle, it corners very well and the gear change is just so positive and a pleasure to use. I love the tartan interior and the dash layout, I prefer a more traditional centre consol rather than the current Audi design, makes you feel you are in the car in your cockpit if that makes sense.

I love the 3 door look too (sorry 5 door owners) and the subtlety of the design. It makes a great distance cruiser and a brilliant A/B road fun car too.

Some of the technology seems a bit useless and the worst thing is the cloaking device. I only know that works as having been driven in to twice by drivers who clearly couldn't see me :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2018, 10:55 »
My mk7 pp GTi is the first car I'm seriously thinking about buying to keep rather than getting rid at the end of the PCP!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2018, 10:59 »
My mk7 pp GTi is the first car I'm seriously thinking about buying to keep rather than getting rid at the end of the PCP!

+1 for this. I’m paying off my Clubsport and keeping that. Brilliant car. :smiley:
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2018, 11:30 »
Reminds me of an interview with James May a few years back at the height of his TG fame. He told a story about being approached about making a new car show. The idea was that he would help members of the public pick a car based on whatever their criteria/needs were. He turned it down and told the guy who was proposing it that it would be a very boring show - because the answer would always be 'a Golf'.

If you want a fast car, there's a Golf, Estate? Golf, drop top? Golf (mk 6 days), economical? Golf and so on.....

Offline CS#303

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2018, 11:43 »

+1 for this. I’m paying off my Clubsport and keeping that. Brilliant car. :smiley:

+2 for this - I'm also paying off and keeping my Clubsport!!  :wink:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2018, 11:48 »
Lots of reasons to love it. Their sales figures show consistently that people love it too.

Only haters will be those who don't want to have the world's most popular car because they don't like to follow the crowd, even when the crowd are correct - so they end up with something compromised.

Equally though, its only a Golf, not a true "prestige" or "exotic" car but I'm never going to be able to afford one of them, so like most people, it suits me to the ground.

I'm just sad it took me so long to discover the joy! Mk7 was my first, current Mk7.5 my second. Next one? Probably another Mk7.5/Mk8 (depending on how soon VW pull their fingers out!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2018, 11:48 »
Great thread! For me it is the feeling of solidity and class in every aspect of the car and its performance. But if I had to narrow it down, I think how well the DCC is implemented. It really does give you multiple cars in one. Every other car I have owned has occasionally got on my goat on some days, whether it is ride harshness, wallowing suspension, lack of zip or throttle response. But in the GTI I can tailor the car's attributes to suit my whims, or the conditions. I will say, however, that a pedal box is an essential part of this versatility, as without it the car lacks throttle response and feels unresponsive (to me, at least). Some cars can match, or even better the GTI's performance, some can match the ride, others the refinement. But none have all these attributes in the one package.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2018, 12:23 »
I have been with a GTI since 2000. Can't see me ever moving on. Current is a MK7 PP 3dr with DSG. Outstanding car and enjoying it However, I'm just not feeling it as much as my MK5 GTI (stolen) and Edition 30. But ignore me, I'm old and understand that if the current model is your 1st then its the shizzle.  :laugh:

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2018, 12:49 »
I've had far more attention in this car than any before, a few weeks back I was challenged to a race by a bloke in a smoky old Transit with a trailer! People really do seem to like a GTI!

As for me, I love how it feels to drive, the pedalbox has made such a difference, it picks up instantly without having to floor the throttle, it corners very well and the gear change is just so positive and a pleasure to use.
It should be, you’ve spent a kings ransom on it !😀

I love the tartan interior and the dash layout, I prefer a more traditional centre consol rather than the current Audi design, makes you feel you are in the car in your cockpit if that makes sense.

I love the 3 door look too (sorry 5 door owners) and the subtlety of the design. It makes a great distance cruiser and a brilliant A/B road fun car too.

Some of the technology seems a bit useless and the worst thing is the cloaking device. I only know that works as having been driven in to twice by drivers who clearly couldn't see me :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16