Author Topic: Replacement Number Plates  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Replacement Number Plates
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2018, 10:17 »
Excellent Rebecca thanks for the link. Knew you'd save the day 👍. I'm assuming m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-x-20MM-AUTO-ACRYLIC-FOAM-DOUBLE-SIDED-ATTACHMENT-ADHESIVE-TAPE/181700778986?hash=item2a4e35dbea:g:hJMAAOSwSWJXRE6c is the same stuff??

Looks the same.  If it’s 3M foam tape it’s going to be fine. 1 roll just did both my plates, using it the entire circumference around each plate and then a series of vertical strips every couple inches along the length of the plate.  andy’s probably right, I’m not sure it’s ever coming off!  Lol.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2018, 10:26 »
More is better  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2018, 12:27 »
I’ve used “trim tape” that I got in Halfords for this job before and it was perfect. There was no way the plate was coming off without some brute force. About a fiver for a roll.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2018, 13:29 »
Cheers all

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2018, 20:34 »
Looks the same.  If it’s 3M foam tape it’s going to be fine. 1 roll just did both my plates, using it the entire circumference around each plate and then a series of vertical strips every couple inches along the length of the plate.  andy’s probably right, I’m not sure it’s ever coming off!  Lol.

Thats more than a belts and braces approach :laugh:

With my kids all having private plates and wanting fancy plates at that I must change a set of number plates at least yearly.
I did what you did above Bec and bloody hell it took me a full day once to get all that adhesive off. Never again  :laugh:

Now I just use a square in each corner and 2 squares in the middle of cheap double sided number plate roll and not one has budged.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2018, 20:45 »

With my kids all having private plates and wanting fancy plates at that I must change a set of number plates at least yearly.
I did what you did above Bec and bloody hell it took me a full day once to get all that adhesive off. Never again  :laugh:

Now I just use a square in each corner and 2 squares in the middle of cheap double sided number plate roll and not one has budged.
Exactly that.
No need to overdo it. I just use 4 vertical strips and that’s probably one strip too many.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2018, 21:00 »
Re: that eBay listing, it says 3M in the title, however that refers to the length "3M x 20MM", no where in the listing does it say it is "3M" brand and if you look at the photos of the roll, the 3 and M letters are strangely not pictured together, unlike the Amazon listing which clearly shows the 3M branding.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the ebay listing is for an inferior copy, hence the cheap price.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2018, 21:38 »

Haha!  I wasn’t taking any chances.  :grin:

I don’t use a personal plate (can’t stand them) so once on they’re staying on.

No need to overdo it. I just use 4 vertical strips and that’s probably one strip too many.

Just use however much you feel is necessary .  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2018, 21:45 »
I have small screws and coloured plastic screw covers.

Looks good with the correct colour caps and permanent.

(Until the next pheasant that is..)
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 21:49 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2018, 22:10 »
Re: that eBay listing, it says 3M in the title, however that refers to the length "3M x 20MM", no where in the listing does it say it is "3M" brand and if you look at the photos of the roll, the 3 and M letters are strangely not pictured together, unlike the Amazon listing which clearly shows the 3M branding.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the ebay listing is for an inferior copy, hence the cheap price.
It may be a copy but until it turns up I won't know if it's inferior or not. Have got another use for it if it's crap quality. I realised it wasn't a genuine 3M product when I bought it.