Author Topic: Replacement Number Plates  (Read 5670 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Replacement Number Plates
« on: 11 May 2018, 18:52 »
Just noticed my front plate is cracked (could have been done in pheasant gate accident). Think I'm just going to get my dealer to make me some but can anyone recommend the best double sided tape please. I've searched on here as I'm sure Rebecca (booth) posted a link to some but can I hell find the post. Was thinking of pressed plates but not sure I like the metal ones so might just stick (no pun intended) with standard acrylic ones.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Replacement Number Plates
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2018, 19:04 »
This stuff hasn't let me down (or my rear number plate). Think I got it off ebay. My plate did come off this week but that was because the garage used a different and clearly inferior tape..

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2018, 19:15 »
I have pressed plates and used a german style frame which is screwed with anti theft screws to the bumpers and boot the plate clips in and the frame clicks around it. Looks really smart.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2018, 19:33 »
Just noticed my front plate is cracked (could have been done in pheasant gate accident). Think I'm just going to get my dealer to make me some but can anyone recommend the best double sided tape please. I've searched on here as I'm sure Rebecca (booth) posted a link to some but can I hell find the post. Was thinking of pressed plates but not sure I like the metal ones so might just stick (no pun intended) with standard acrylic ones.
The ones that my car came fitted with are really high quality aluminium ones ( much nicer than pressed plates imo).
They do have that extra bit on the bottom that the dealer uses for free advertising but I did enquire and they would have made me a set without the extra bottom section.
In the end they took too long to get back to me so I bought some plastic ones off ebay :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline spdpug98

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2018, 19:37 »
I’ve got the plate surround on the rear too

https://ibb.co/fp92rJ

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2018, 20:14 »
Mine are stuck on with double sided tape that I bought in a roll from Halfords. My last car’s plates were stuck on for 4 years using the same tape until someone rear ended me and the back one fell off. Would recommend :smiley:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2018, 20:36 »
I've got two Wolfsburg number plate surrounds in the garage that have never been used. Seems less secure using them as you can just remove the plate quite easily.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2018, 00:08 »
My pressed plates are stuck on with 3M double sided foam tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BR2MTS0/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

Rear is stuck straight onto paint, front stuck onto plate holder.  Neither have budged a mm since fitting. Subject to regular washing with pressure washer etc.  Highly recommend this tape.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2018, 07:31 »
+1 for the 3M tape, I followed Rebecca's advice and it was worked perfectly. Not sure they will ever come off to be honest!
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2018, 09:23 »
Excellent Rebecca thanks for the link. Knew you'd save the day 👍. I'm assuming m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-x-20MM-AUTO-ACRYLIC-FOAM-DOUBLE-SIDED-ATTACHMENT-ADHESIVE-TAPE/181700778986?hash=item2a4e35dbea:g:hJMAAOSwSWJXRE6c is the same stuff??
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 09:29 by mcmaddy »