Author Topic: DataPlug?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
DataPlug?
« on: 16 February 2018, 17:31 »
Picked up my new Golf GTI 230 manual 5dr this week and as part of the handover was given a VW DataPlug (?)  Has anyone else been given one of these/tried it out yet?

Apparently it 'reads out vehicle data and sends it to your smartphone via Blue-tooth.  Easy connection to the OBD2 port underneath the steering wheel'.

I'm not especially tech-savy and it sounds a bit like witchcraft to me :O)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: DataPlug?
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2018, 17:40 »
It's Big Brother out to get you, crush it's precociousness with much fury and dispose of the carcass in a distant corner of the land :whistle:

Or just bin it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2018, 17:43 »
NSA tracking device. Wrap it in tinfoil and throw it in a passing dustcart...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2018, 19:46 »
Well, I got one free, from my dealer. I really couldn't see anything sus about using it, so plugged it in and set it up on my phone. It gives you some very useful info about each trip you do, including battery charge, fuel level and your parking position. You can also see your route with maximum and average speeds. Once you have recorded a couple of refuels, it will also show your consumption and the trip's fuel cost. There is also a driving style marking system, geared towards economy, which marks high for a gentle touch on the controls.

Which is all well and good. I got used to the app being always on and the trips automatically recorded. Then it just missed a trip altogether. I put it down to a glitch, reset it and carried on, but then the same thing happened again. I was starting to lose patience with it. The final nail in it's coffin came when it hadn't recorded a trip because VW had decided they wanted me to confirm my login details. No message on my phone screen, no red dot on the app icon, nothing until I opened the app to check on the trip that wasn't there! It is now in it's box, waiting for VW to sort it properly.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Alun

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2018, 21:39 »
Well, I got one free, from my dealer. I really couldn't see anything sus about using it, so plugged it in and set it up on my phone. It gives you some very useful info about each trip you do, including battery charge, fuel level and your parking position. You can also see your route with maximum and average speeds. Once you have recorded a couple of refuels, it will also show your consumption and the trip's fuel cost. There is also a driving style marking system, geared towards economy, which marks high for a gentle touch on the controls.

Which is all well and good. I got used to the app being always on and the trips automatically recorded. Then it just missed a trip altogether. I put it down to a glitch, reset it and carried on, but then the same thing happened again. I was starting to lose patience with it. The final nail in it's coffin came when it hadn't recorded a trip because VW had decided they wanted me to confirm my login details. No message on my phone screen, no red dot on the app icon, nothing until I opened the app to check on the trip that wasn't there! It is now in it's box, waiting for VW to sort it properly.

I have had no luck connecting my mobile to the car via USB. I can't hit on a hot-spot signal connection.  Can you help please, cheers!

Offline BristolBob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2018, 08:49 »
Alun (in South Wales)

I believe the device connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth. It doesn't need any sort of USB connection, simply download the VW Connect app from Google Play Store, switch on your phone's BT and Bob's your uncle. The idea is that you drive around with your phone in the car with the BT switched on.

I'm not sure why the app insists on accessing your phone's photos, media and files so on that basis I have uninstalled it and binned the device.

IMHO, it's a gimmick intended to provide Volkswagen with marketing data.

Golf GTI 7.5 PP DSG 2017

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2018, 09:53 »

I'm not sure why the app insists on accessing your phone's photos, media and files so on that basis I have uninstalled it and binned the device.

Photos, media and files access is for changing your profile picture and for if you want to call a dealer to book in for an expensive service or assistance call. Had one since they first came out expecting a phone call every time a service was due but not had any so it has stayed in.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2018, 13:43 »
Yes, it is a Bluetooth connection, I got one with our Polo when it was in for service a couple of months ago. It is a novelty I must admit but does provide useful info about max speed, fuel in tank, battery charge etc. as has already been mentioned.

It also gives you scores about driving style etc. I have found it quite easy to score highly in terms of engine speed, braking etc.

MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Bengunn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2018, 13:58 »
Was given one of these free by the salesman when I picked up my new GTI in November. Thanked the salesman but said I wouldn't be plugging it in or using it. When car went for 6 week check I discovered the service department has installed a dataplug ( discovered it because they left the empty box in the glove box).
I removed it and phoned the service department to ask why it had been installed without my knowledge or instruction and was promised a call back from the service manager. Had to chase this up as the promised call never materialised and was told they (the dealership service department) had decided to fit them willy nilly to cars in for service.
There seems to be a desperation at my dealership to get you / them to fit the device. 

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2018, 14:28 »
I still can't see the value to the user, most of the information people have mentioned is already available on the car and if I wanted a constant critique of my driving style I'd get my OH to sit in with me more often :rolleyes: Surely there must be more to it, is it just a way to get people to download the VW app?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.