Author Topic: Kev's GTI PP DSG with OEM mods  (Read 167398 times)

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
Re: Kev's GTI PP DSG with OEM mods
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2014, 13:26 »
Now i just need you to figure out how to do the boot opening all the way on the key. :P
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2014, 13:32 »
I like the jacking point mod. I'm off to do that. :D

It's a great mod if you like taking off the wheels to clean them. It saved the sills on my mk5!

That I do, plus I will be running winter wheels. Annoyingly I already had a puncture too so have had a wheel off already. Was expecting to find something like that!!

Is this everything that's needed?

8V0 825 271                       Qty:1
8V0 825 272                       Qty:1
8V0 802 845                       Qty:1
8V0 802 846                       Qty:1
8V0 802 847                       Qty:2
8V0 804 631                       Qty:2

One of them looks to be hanging down in your pic, on the right?

Yes that's all the parts you need. That was well spotted in the pic. That pic was taken before I pushed it home. I couldnt do it by hand. I had to press it in with the trolley jack
« Last Edit: 20 August 2014, 19:34 by kevinm »
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2014, 13:35 »
Now i just need you to figure out how to do the boot opening all the way on the key. :P

I didnt bother with that mod in the mk5/6. It's over rated imo. In cold weather the strut wont lift the boot and in warm weather it would take your head off. The new Octavia has an electric opening boot that has auto close too  :cool: I looked at fitting it but the struts are the wrong length for the Golf.

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2014, 14:30 »
Need to identify a market that had auto closing boot then lol. I  like the mods you've done, very OEM plus. Not sure I can be arsed taking my seats out but I like the subtle touches.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2014, 21:45 »
OK so here's a bit more detail into the rear footwell led light mod. I didn't intend to make a how-to so pictures are a bit thin on the ground. The parts required are:

LED light                         5G0 947 409          Qty: 2
Plug                               1J0 971 972           Qty: 4
Plug                              3B0 972 712           Qty: 2
Repair wire for 1J0 plug:    000 979 019 E        Qty: 4
Repair wire for 3B0 plug:    000 979 020 E       Qty: 2
0.5mm2 thin wall automotive wire                  15m
Loom tape                      000 979 950
*The VW loom tape comes in 10m lengths and is a rip off (~€10 each). Just google "Coroplast furry tape". You will get a 25m roll for less than what VW charge for 10m and it is the exact same tape.
Shrink tubing, solder, cable ties etc

The above list will enable you to plug in between the front footwell light and the factory loom. It wont let you unplug it at the main seat connection. To do that you need the parts below. I've split this into 2 sections, 1 for cars with heated seats and 1 for cars without. You only need 1 of the below lists.

For cars with heated seats:
The plug for heated seats has empty positions so you can use these. Parts required:

Repair wire:          000 979 025 E      Qty: 2
Repair Wire:          000 979 020 E      Qty: 2

For cars without heated seats:

Plug:                   1J0 973 332 A       Qty: 2
Plug:                   1J0 973 119         Qty: 2
Repair wire:          000 979 019 E      Qty: 2
Repair wire:          000 979 020 E      Qty: 2

Here is a schematic. Forgive the poor paint skills. Repair wires have the same terminal both ends so cut each in 2. Solder the wires together and cover with heat shrink tubing and loom tape.:

Make sure you keep the polarity because the light will only work one way around.

I dont use repair wires. I get the terminals individually and crimp them onto the wire:

- Slide seat forward and remove rear bolts
- Slide it back and remove front bolts
- Tilt seat back to expose where loom goes under carpet.
- Lift the head of the push-fit fastener then remove it

- Un-plug and remove seat. I'd recommend protecting the sill with a heavy blanket. The seat rails have sharp edges and could easily scratch the sill. Here are the plugs. Left one in seat belt buckle switch (and sensor mat on passanger seat). Middle is for airbag and right is for seat heating.

- Run wires in seat and through the protective sheath. I had to cut the cable ties to get the cables through. Fix new cable ties.

- Lift the front of the sill trim. This takes a lot of force. The illumination wires come from the rear so you will not pull or damage them. You dont need to remove the whole trim, just the front of it.

- Remove the trim to the side of the dashboard, where the fuse box was in mk5+6. You should be able to reach the back of the front light. Release the plug and plug in your new loom.

- Run the wires down along the sill and follow the path of the factory wiring to the main seat plug.

- Remove the plugs from their mounting bracket. Place the wires in the main seat plug, or your own extra plug. If you have heated seats, note the secondary locking mechanism in the plug. To unlock, you have to push the purple bit of the plug until it moves with a click.

- Put everything back and enjoy your rear footwell lights  :cool:
« Last Edit: 11 August 2015, 11:32 by kevinm »

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline 09GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2014, 22:50 »
Love the car , loaded with extras ! Where did you buy the vanity led lights in ireland ?
2014 Mk 7 GTI 5 door , Discover Pro , Pan Roof , DSG , ACC, Xenons , Parking  Sensors  , Rear Tints, KESSY.

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2014, 23:22 »
Love the car , loaded with extras ! Where did you buy the vanity led lights in ireland ?

Thanks. I got them from the dealers.

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2014, 00:10 »
Forgive me being stupid here but what exactly is the purpose of the jacking point mod?

You can jack the car on a trolley jack there anyway. Is it just to identify the jacking points easier?
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2014, 06:00 »
Kevin - thank you very much! You ought to manufacture and sell them as kits lol!

Mr Savage - surely it just protects the underside of the car and saves you having to put something on top of a trolley jack to stop it marking the car?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2014, 07:02 »
Forgive me being stupid here but what exactly is the purpose of the jacking point mod?

You can jack the car on a trolley jack there anyway. Is it just to identify the jacking points easier?

It's mainly to protect the sills. Also you don't need a modified puck or similar when jacking like you need when jacking on the sills.

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG