Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 626969 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2910 on: 05 October 2017, 18:11 »
Surprised how badly corroded the rear suspension arms had got for a car that is only 7+ years old  :shocked:. Not had this with other cars and they are normally kept in the family for up to 10 years. Also noticed a couple of spots of rust on the wheel well while under the car and the well is not totally covered with under seal. A couple of suspension bushes also look to be perishing. Is VW cutting costs or trying to reduce weight or both? The offside was worse than the nearside - would have expected the opposite. Not had bad winters and I religiously hose down (not pressure wash) the underside in winter. Spent a lot of time cleaning them, removing rust and putting some paint on them.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #2911 on: 06 October 2017, 19:51 »
A lot of cars are like that nowadays not just VWs. They only underseal the minimum to save weight. Our year old mazda has started underneath :( as has a mates focus ST.
I waxoiled my mk6 underneath from new so mines ok but its poor how much they are cutting back to save weight. Ive seen a certain manufactureres were the paint on the inside of alloys is so thin they are corroding after a few months. Look fine from the outside but get it on a lift and there discusting.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2912 on: 11 October 2017, 21:03 »
Back to the time then in the 60's and 70's when waxoil was a must for cars to keep them in good condition :sad: . Think I am getting too old for all that now!
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2913 on: 10 February 2018, 14:21 »
Washed it.

Also plugged in the OBDEleven for the first time, only faults were something to do with the radio.

I plan to change a few things, not many, I`ll have to see how things go  :smiley:

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2914 on: 21 April 2018, 18:39 »
Got a few little jobs done today. First off was new serpentine belt, was still on the original as far as i know after 114k. Pretty simple, hardest part was getting the arch liner back on and all the screw holes lined up again.

Next up the fuel filter was replaced. Struggled a bit to get the forward connector off of the old filter. The bit you have to depress for the quick release is on top and tucked away as opposed to the two rearmost connectors where it's on the underneath and easy to access. Got there in the end though and much better to take the time than rush and break them because replacing these fuel lines would not be fun! Also the screw that holds the filter strap together is not in great shape so I'll pick up another soon and get it changed.

Final job was changing the cabin filter which I expected would be pretty disgusting but actually wasn't too bad when I pulled it out.

No I just need to find time to wash the car as it's completely filthy currently!
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 18:42 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2915 on: 22 April 2018, 08:02 »
Good work there Seabrook  :smiley:

Left mine with the dealer on Friday for a service.

Meanwhile I have all the wheels off to clean and then coat in Carpro Dlux.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2916 on: 23 April 2018, 09:19 »
Good work there Seabrook  :smiley:

Left mine with the dealer on Friday for a service.

Meanwhile I have all the wheels off to clean and then coat in Carpro Dlux.

Cheers, how do you rate Dlux? I've heard good things.

Meanwhile I managed to get that wash in: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=274783.msg2588668#msg2588668

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #2917 on: 24 April 2018, 11:11 »
Nice work there.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2918 on: 24 April 2018, 18:34 »

Cheers, how do you rate Dlux? I've heard good things.

I`ve used Gtechniq C5 in the past and have been very happy with it but fancied a change.

The Dlux was lovely to apply, not as runny as C5, it went a long way too.

I managed to apply 2 coats to all 4 wheels and still have plenty left over to treat some trim when the time comes.

They look really good too so I`ll have to wait and see regards durability.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2919 on: 31 May 2018, 09:17 »
Replaced the key fob cover which was just getting a hole in it - only used the one fob for 8 years. Pain getting the pin out of the old cover but for £3.99 got a complete cover with the VW badge, new pin and a new battery!  :smiley: