Author Topic: Wire through firewall?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
Wire through firewall?
« on: 28 December 2011, 16:59 »
Where is the best place to take a wire through the firewall. Seems easy on LHD, grommet behind the battery, but on RHD, I have no idea where that grommet comes out. Took out the whole cubby/glovebox but looks like aircon control smack in front.  :shocked:
Other option seems to be the clutch pedal grommet since I have a DSG, but not sure how to get at that from the engine side.  :embarassed:

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: Wire through firewall?
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2011, 23:46 »
Belix

If you lie on your back in the passenger footwell you will see a rubber grommet behind the air con unit.  

I used a piece of thick wire to poke through from the engine side of the firewall (just above and to the right of the ABS unit) and then I could see it from the inside of the car. Simply pushed the wire through then from the engine side pulled the required length through.

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2011, 09:28 »
thanks, maybe I did not look closely enough. Pity, I've now put the glovebox back in. Or can yous till see it just with the cardboard bit out?

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2011, 09:49 »
When I fitted my xenons I took the wires through here and didn't have to remove the glovebox.
You can get access by just removing the cardboard black trim piece.

There is a hole right up in the top left corner where the wires come out, as Buck says, you need to feed them from the engine side.
The picture shows where they emerge, the two thinner cables are the ones I fed through.
There is a thick loom cable already going through this point.

« Last Edit: 29 December 2011, 10:13 by mike. »
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2011, 14:54 »
thanks, I see it pretty hidden by the carpet so I see why you'de need to feed it through from the engine side. Thanks, will be really pleased if I can get some wiring through there!

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2012, 11:22 »
you're a freaking legend! Thanks mate! Finally got the wire through!  :grin:

Offline Rsharpe2

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2018, 13:33 »
Mike thank you read lots of posts and that pic you posted is gold. Legend