Author Topic: Rear axle beam bushes  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Skink

• Not said much yet
Rear axle beam bushes
« on: 02 April 2020, 20:05 »
Right, I can’t put it off any longer :sad:
The rear axle bushes in my Mk3 2.0 8v are split and have been an advisory on the MOT for the past 4 years but I get the feeling this year they will fail. It’s a job I’m going to do myself (hopefully) but would like some opinions on whether to go standard or polybush? I understand poly are easier to fit, but I’ve heard mixed reviews about them. The rest of the suspension bushing is standard and it’s fitted with Eibach 15mm springs and Bilstein shocks.

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
Re: Rear axle beam bushes
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2020, 15:09 »
I would put powerflex polies on, Iv had mine for some 5 years all round have not checked in a while but no thuds or anything so Im assuming there still good they come with lifetime guarantee.
To get them off you can burn the renaming rubber with a tourch and cut the surround with a hacksaw blade then tap it out.
If your going the oem rout you will have to buy, lend or rent a special tool to Insert the new ones in place. 

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2020, 12:02 »
I used powerflex on my Jetta, they were absolutely fine in the two years I had it and a doddle to fit, so that's the route I'd go.

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2020, 21:45 »
Personally i would only ever use Powerflex as replacements.

If you decide to fit original type then i strongly suggest you buy good quality ones.

I have done this job many times but i always remove the complete subframe and do it on a bench,repainting it all before refitting.

On one occasion i did it for a guy who supplied the parts and they were cheap copies of the original type.They fitted the axle frame o.k. but frame just would not go back into the car.Turned out they were both nearly 2mm wider than the max tolerance allowed.Out came the grinder.

You don't need to burn the old one's out,you can do it with a 6mm drill bit and a cordless drill.Just drill right through between inner and outer "rings" and the drill will steer itself all the way around until separated.Punch the centre tube out.

Then get a good hacksaw (the old type with a wide blade are best,more controllable).Take the blade off,put it through the hole and refit it to the hacksaw frame.

CAREFULLY saw through the thin outer wall of the remaining outer ring,remove hacksaw and punch remainder out.

Then clean the hole out thoroughly,preferably with a "flapper" wheel of suitable size on your cordless drill.You can also do it by hand with medium grade emery cloth or with a Dremel using sanding drums.

Good luck.

Offline Skink

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2020, 16:42 »
Excellent, thanks for your replies and tips on doing the job, I really appreciate it. Powerflex it is then 😀 I think I might have the beam off as well and give it a wire brushing and coating whilst I’m at it. I’ll let you know how it goes, but I’ll more likely ask for more help before the jobs done!

Offline Bertie73

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2020, 10:41 »
might be a bit late but only just seen this... theres a good vid on youtube if you search for doing them with the beam still on the car..