Author Topic: Jetta MK5 - advice needed on putting on a bigger turbo.  (Read 7524 times)

Offline Crazy Dutch

• Not said much yet
  • GTI is the POWER!
Hey guys,

Haven't been around that much so fairly new on here so go easy on me :).

I got 58 reg Jetta MK4 1.9 TDI and was wondering what's involved in changing existing turbo for a bigger one?

I have to say that I'm actually know very little when it comes to turbo. Was speaking to my friend who used to have MK4 Golf TDI and he said that it's possible to slap on turbo from either BWM 3.0 or Audi 2.5 and on top of that use the cold end from Audi 2.5 and result should be close to 300 BHP. He knows much more about theses things than I do so I have no reason to dispute what he says but still would like to get a further opinion on this matter.

Basically would appreciated any information i.e what's involved, cost, any additional parts and/or work required, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
Re: Jetta MK5 - advice needed on putting on a bigger turbo.
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2012, 00:05 »
Join the club as far knowing f**k all is concerned.  :grin:

Although I think 300bhp from a 1.9tdi, regardless of mods, is a bit of a dream. 300lbft of torque most definitely, but I've never heard of a VAG 1.9tdi make much more than 200bhp.

I believe the standard power of those Jetta's is about 100bhp and 175lbft. With a remap expect 130-140bhp and maybe 180lbft. With a bigger turbo who knows.....but 300bhp  :undecided:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Crazy Dutch

• Not said much yet
  • GTI is the POWER!
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2012, 08:24 »
It's 105BHP standard. According to the crowd that done the remap on my friend's Audi it can gain +50 BHP once remapped. As for 300BHP then as I said I know very little hence the reason I'm trying to get a better idea what's involved and what to expect ;).

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2012, 08:38 »
The MK4 130 / 150 TDI's, if fitted with the turbo from an Audi 3.0 V6, along with other mods have broken the 300bhp barrier

If you're starting with the 105bhp then you will require A LOT of work to get it even near that figure

Offline Crazy Dutch

• Not said much yet
  • GTI is the POWER!
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2012, 15:53 »
The MK4 130 / 150 TDI's, if fitted with the turbo from an Audi 3.0 V6, along with other mods have broken the 300bhp barrier

If you're starting with the 105bhp then you will require A LOT of work to get it even near that figure

OK, I'm listening! :)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2012, 16:16 »

OK, I'm listening! :)

Good; now start using Google  :kiss:  :grin:

Off the top of my head - injectors, turbo, intercooler, clutch etc etc

Even then its debatable if the 105 can actually achieve that sort of power.  Certainly the 115 in the MK4 couldn't

Offline Crazy Dutch

• Not said much yet
  • GTI is the POWER!
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2012, 22:55 »

I thought the whole idea of forums like these was to share information, get advice, etc but looks like I got the whole concept completly wrong :rolleyes:.

Even then its debatable if the 105 can actually achieve that sort of power.  Certainly the 115 in the MK4 couldn't

OK, 300BHP is way too optimistic but if it can get 155BHP with stock turbo there should be quite a bit of room for improvement with better kit installed? 

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2012, 23:00 »

OK, 300BHP is way too optimistic but if it can get 155BHP with stock turbo there should be quite a bit of room for improvement with better kit installed?

155 on a stock turbo?? That wont last very long....... :undecided:

How big is your budget??  As that will determine how far you can go......anythings possible with money!!

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2012, 23:01 »

I thought the whole idea of forums like these was to share information, get advice, etc but looks like I got the whole concept completly wrong :rolleyes:.

Remap it. Fit a free flowing exhaust. Full induction system. You should see 150bhp and 220lbft and that will be like a whole new car for you mate. And if you buy right, could cost less than a bag of sand.  :smiley: :smiley:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Crazy Dutch

• Not said much yet
  • GTI is the POWER!
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2012, 01:48 »
155 on a stock turbo?? That wont last very long....... :undecided:

Elaborate please. :)

How big is your budget??  As that will determine how far you can go......anythings possible with money!!

I wouldn't say I'm ready to fork out thousands straight away but could invest some money on regular basis.