Author Topic: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?  (Read 9224 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?
« Reply #40 on: 19 September 2020, 08:18 »
Two owners I've spoken to on the petrol forecourt didn't get anywhere near 34mpg combined, more like 24.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #41 on: 19 September 2020, 10:00 »
Two owners I've spoken to on the petrol forecourt didn't get anywhere near 34mpg combined, more like 24.

That isn’t good, esp from a 2 litre, 4 cylinder Fwd. now, if you were talking to RS3 owners that would kind of make sense.

So McMaddy what sort of mpg would you say you get from your TCR?
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 19 September 2020, 10:36 »

That isn’t good, esp from a 2 litre, 4 cylinder Fwd. now, if you were talking to RS3 owners that would kind of make sense.

My TCR is great on fuel, I'm getting 40+ on long runs, mid 30s on shorter runs. Current long term average is 38 (I've been doing plenty of long runs recently). Short but steady commutes would dip into the high 20s but Covid and wfh has removed those!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 19 September 2020, 11:49 »

at just over 1k miles my long term is showing 31mpg and that's all been short journeys with the exception of one and I got 41 from that 👍

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #44 on: 19 September 2020, 12:39 »
From everything I've read, the N engine is nothing like a VAG or BMW engine in any way shape or form. Whether that's good or bad depends on your personal opinion I guess.

I've still yet to try it, but it does sound glorious  :cool:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 19 September 2020, 15:24 »
From everything I've read, the N engine is nothing like a VAG or BMW engine in any way shape or form. Whether that's good or bad depends on your personal opinion I guess.

I've still yet to try it, but it does sound glorious  :cool:
it didn't feel as quick as my GTi pp and that was 48bhp down. Torque wise though the GTi was slightly more. It was still a nice car and the gear rev matching did make me smile. If you couldn't care less about bottom line mpg figures then it'll be a great car. Badge snobs will be the issue though especially on VW, Audi and BMW forums.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 20 September 2020, 09:34 »
Thanks, Watts and McMaddy for fuel consumption and ride quality comments.

Thanks Fred about comment on engine.  So VAG engines sounds like they are more sophisticated
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #47 on: 20 October 2020, 12:56 »
Pricing and specifications for the 128ti are out now on the UK website and an initial look through, comparing to the Golf 8 GTI prices/specs, seems to suggest the pricing is being put at a directly competitive level...

Both have low/mid £30's base prices... and are getting into the high £30's (even low £40's) if you put a spec on them (VW looking for over £2k for leather and electric seat)...

Be interesting to see how liked the BMW is when the initial owners start reporting on their cars...

(edit to add: apologies, just seen much of this already posted in separate thread... my bad. )
« Last Edit: 20 October 2020, 13:07 by DaveA »