Author Topic: Golf R Spied ....  (Read 8127 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Golf R Spied ....
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2020, 09:29 »
The new steering wheels in the GTI/R look exceptionally boring, such a backward step from the Mk7/7.5. The fact they are fitted decent size paddles is great but mated with that wheel it's just a bit odd and based on the reviews, they have made a massive error with the buttons etc.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #31 on: 20 August 2020, 08:12 »
R estate spied... https://uk.motor1.com/news/439738/volkswagen-golf-r-estate-spied/

Personally I've never really liked the styling of the Golf estates. They have a slight awkwardness about them. However this Mk8 version looks a little more pleasing on the eye.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 20 August 2020, 18:41 »
R estate spied... https://uk.motor1.com/news/439738/volkswagen-golf-r-estate-spied/

Personally I've never really liked the styling of the Golf estates. They have a slight awkwardness about them. However this Mk8 version looks a little more pleasing on the eye.
that's not an R estate. It's got the alltrack body on it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 20 August 2020, 18:47 »

that's not an R estate. It's got the alltrack body on it.
Agreed about the Alltrack body, it is an R estate underneath though.

Phase 1 build test mule Audi and VW fast estates have, in the last 3-5 years, been done on their Alltrack/Allroad sibling bodies, to disguise styling. The latest RS4, RS6 and Arteon SB, to name but 3.

It’s phase 2 mules (cold weather testing etc) which move to the actual bodyshell with heavy camo.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 20 August 2020, 19:15 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 25 August 2020, 11:29 »

What in hell have Volkswagen done with the paddle shifters and wheel designs.. .

What in hell have you done Volkswagen

Oh dear, that black version doesn't make me want to open my wallet!!!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 25 August 2020, 12:00 »
Oh dear, that black version doesn't make me want to open my wallet!!!

Those pictures have been doing the rounds on other forums recently. The general consensus by existing mk7 / mk7.5 R owners isn’t favourable, which I suppose is predictable and to be expected.

I do like the new flappy paddles on the steering wheel, but that’s about it.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 25 August 2020, 12:22 »
The blue and white versions I've seen previously haven't looked too bad, GTI is actually growing on me but it's got to be a viewing in the metal really.  People did say that black doesn't suit the MK8, seems they were right!

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 25 August 2020, 13:41 »
This would get me to open my wallet

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 26 August 2020, 07:25 »
Was reading the VW press release about Golf GTE, once I had got through all the flowery prose and hyperbole, there was a promising sentence.......

“Iconic Sporty models such as the new Golf GTI, the Golf GTD and the Golf R will be launched in the coming weeks”

So that sounds promising for the final reveal of the cars and hopefully information on the specification.  Maybe the Goodwood Speedweek (mid October) will be the reveal as the rumour was it would appear in July at Festival of Speed.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #39 on: 26 August 2020, 11:26 »
I hope so, I need something new to look at and read about  :smiley: