Author Topic: 1st warranty claim  (Read 1880 times)

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
1st warranty claim
« on: 07 March 2021, 12:42 »
Just washing the car. Rinsing the car off with the pressure washer, and the wing mirror cap falls off. It’s held on with the flimsiest of plastic clips, one of which has now snapped. Will be calling the service dept first thing tomorrow! Mirror cap now taped on. Meh

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
Re: 1st warranty claim
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2021, 12:43 »
ouch, not a good start :sad:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2021, 13:13 »
Urgh, that sucks.  :sad:  Thanks for the heads-up, though.  I will be sure to be extra careful now. *thumbs-up*
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2021, 17:39 »
Just washing the car. Rinsing the car off with the pressure washer, and the wing mirror cap falls off. It’s held on with the flimsiest of plastic clips, one of which has now snapped. Will be calling the service dept first thing tomorrow! Mirror cap now taped on. Meh
I wouldn't tell them you had the pressure washer near it, they might try and say it's your own fault and the pressure has snapped the plastic lugs.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2021, 20:51 »
I wouldn't tell them you had the pressure washer near it, they might try and say it's your own fault and the pressure has snapped the plastic lugs.

Yeah I did think that. It’s only used on the low setting for rinsing, not high like you would clean your driveway with. The plastic lug is literally 2mm thick and about 5mm wide. Really flimsy. I hazard a guess you could inadvertently break it just trying to remove the cap.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2021, 21:19 »

Yeah I did think that. It’s only used on the low setting for rinsing, not high like you would clean your driveway with. The plastic lug is literally 2mm thick and about 5mm wide. Really flimsy. I hazard a guess you could inadvertently break it just trying to remove the cap.

Sounds pretty much like the MK7 ones and they are actually pretty robust as they have a degree of flex to them unlike the ebay replacements that are more rigid. But I suspect the clip was more likely broken by clumsy fitting at the factory.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2021, 12:13 »
Never buy a MK8, wait for the MK8.5 :grin:

MK7 GTi