Author Topic: Mk8 GTI Exhaust Overrun/Crackle  (Read 4729 times)

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
Mk8 GTI Exhaust Overrun/Crackle
« on: 04 March 2021, 15:50 »
Hi,

Picked up my new mk8 GTI DSG earlier this week, and after a few days of software updates  :rolleyes: I am enjoying it!

My question is there any way to initiate the exhaust overrun/crackle/pop on demand? Whilst I appreciate its childish, when in sport mode I was able to force the car to overrun almost constantly for 5 minutes, but when trying again to show off/annoy my neighbor I got nothing?

I have tried changing the modes between eco/sport/individual (sport being the most obvious), putting it in neutral (DSG), trying in Park, pressing accelerator beyond the false stop etc, but it doesn't seem to make any difference?

Apologies if this is a novice question, but is the overrun effect 'random' and dependent on other things like engine temp or can it be initiated in a certain mode/conditions?

There seem to be plenty of youtube videos showing it off, but other than a couple of seemingly random events I cant seem to replicate it!

Thanks in advance.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk8 GTI Exhaust Overrun/Crackle
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2021, 16:52 »
I didn't even know it did it until the other night I was having a bit of a "vigarous" drive and came off the throttle hard into a roundabout and it went pup-pup-pop-boom  :cool:

No idea how to make it do it stationary... my daughter was blipping the throttle on the drive the day I brought it home and it just made a noise like a Nissan micra...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2021, 20:53 »
Try it in neutral from a cold start...I'm not sure how much you'll get with the GPF stuffing everything up but the automatic choke will cause the engine to run rich which should in turn cause a couple of small pops and bangs...

Maybe don't try it when you're leaving at 6am for work though  :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2021, 20:34 »
Mine does it in neutral in sports mode, Rev it to 4000 then off it pops

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2021, 20:35 »
Mine does it in neutral in sports mode, Rev it to 4000 then off it pops

I'll go give it a go!  :cool: :evil:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2021, 08:46 »
Turning off all the traction aids I think helps. Coming from a MK7 PP I miss the shift farts

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2021, 15:06 »
Hi,

Picked up my new mk8 GTI DSG earlier this week, and after a few days of software updates  :rolleyes: I am enjoying it!

My question is there any way to initiate the exhaust overrun/crackle/pop on demand? Whilst I appreciate its childish, when in sport mode I was able to force the car to overrun almost constantly for 5 minutes, but when trying again to show off/annoy my neighbor I got nothing?

I have tried changing the modes between eco/sport/individual (sport being the most obvious), putting it in neutral (DSG), trying in Park, pressing accelerator beyond the false stop etc, but it doesn't seem to make any difference?

Apologies if this is a novice question, but is the overrun effect 'random' and dependent on other things like engine temp or can it be initiated in a certain mode/conditions?

There seem to be plenty of youtube videos showing it off, but other than a couple of seemingly random events I cant seem to replicate it!

Thanks in advance.

I discovered the answer to this yesterday. You need the engine noise in Sports, as weird as this is only amount to control the fake engine noise it also controls it to pop, many tests yesterday, even if you change to Eco drive and sports exhaust it will pop, have it sport drive and Eco exhaust it won't. But that is the way 😊

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2021, 20:57 »
Skip to around 5:10 in this video, he shows the non-sport/sport exhaust note, it's where I picked up the 'soft limiter' doesn't seem to be as strict when you're in sport mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPPIu8Kfmc

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2021, 21:27 »
I think he's just using the mode button to go into sport profile.

Which changes "engine sound" to sport.

What Si is saying is that its not to do with actual drive setting, it's just the sound setting.

Try it, go into individual profile, set everything to Eco or comfort. Rev the engine... Nothing right? Now set the noise setting to sport... Just the noise. Rev it....

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2021, 09:35 »
Ah, thanks fredgroves, I'll give it a try when my car is here on Wednesday!